Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"i can hear you going down 17K from here and the sound is good"
No kidding? Where are you? I'll stop by!
Nice stable of "must have" bikes by the way! (82 Suzuki gs550m katana, 75 S3 400 kawasaki, 75 H1 500 kawasaki, 76 suzuki gt 500 , 70 kawasaki a7 350 avenger...).
The R5 is currently the only bike I own.

Jim B

·
Registered
999 Posts
Where are you? I'll stop by!
The R5 is currently the only bike I own.

Jim B
i lived most of my life about 20 miles north of you in Highland. live in central NJ now (it sucks, but theres work $). 208 n. out of walden, 52 west over the hill toward ellenville, 302 toward middletown. great roads. sure do miss em.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Classy looking machine...nicely done!
No...never really finished; always something else you want to do, unless you sell it. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheap Chinese RFY shocks? Really? Is the bike for static display only?
Yes, cheap! $90 shipped. They actually work, although they are firm. Way better than the stock pogo sticks. At that price, it allowed me to continue throwing $$ at other things like bearings, seals, rims & rearsets. Down the road I'll do a proper upgrade. As noted, these things are never done.

Jim B

·
Registered
830 Posts
Your exhaust flanges are leaking, if you didn't realize that already. Aside from that and the previously mentioned shock issue, it presents well.

I'm curious - not meaning to hijack but here it is - between the cheap Ohlins knock-offs and the cheap OEM shocks, which would you choose? Jimbo184 has already cast his vote. Note: there is no Door #3 option on this one ("you just save until you can afford good shocks"), if you're truly bucks-down, which way would you go?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Very pretty bike!

I've never ridden on those RFY's, but there have been a few here that have rebuilt them. I've always wondered, without full disassembly and rebuild, if you just take them to a tire place and balance out the nitrogen, do they atleast feel better than OEM or NOS pogo sticks?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Your exhaust flanges are leaking, if you didn't realize that already. Aside from that and the previously mentioned shock issue, it presents well.

I'm curious - not meaning to hijack but here it is - between the cheap Ohlins knock-offs and the cheap OEM shocks, which would you choose? Jimbo184 has already cast his vote. Note: there is no Door #3 option on this one ("you just save until you can afford good shocks"), if you're truly bucks-down, which way would you go?
Eh - there's always a door 3. You just have to find it. Bucks down? I'd look for a Harley owner lowering their bike and get their factory cast offs. I've netted several sets of fresh Progressives this way.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
There are plenty of "cheapish" alternatives to Chinese shocks. Progressives, Hagons, etc....

The general consensus has been with these Chinese shocks that every one needs a rebuild before use because of quality inconsistencies (like different fluid level between the shocks and too light a fluid for the orifices in the damping mechanism).

Honestly by the time you are done properly setting up a cheap RFY shock you have spent as much or more than it would cost you to get a properly set up hagon ($194). By properly setup I mean springs, fluid, nitrogen, schrader valves, new seals if needed. I think PJ said it best when he said they are a really cheap way to get a good starting point for a $400 shock. Although to be fair he made a new lower mount for his on a lathe because he was unhappy with the stock pieces.

To answer Emit's question I would probably buy the cheap chinese shocks also, but I would not run them out of the box on the bike, I would at the very least do the fluid and schrader valves on them before anything else and that raises the cost. If I was restricted to having to run them out of the box - I would pick the OEM style remakes because depending on the bike the quality control is likely better.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Very pretty bike!

I've never ridden on those RFY's, but there have been a few here that have rebuilt them. I've always wondered, without full disassembly and rebuild, if you just take them to a tire place and balance out the nitrogen, do they atleast feel better than OEM or NOS pogo sticks?
Even if you balance out the nitrogen I think it was proven by several others before that the fluid levels aren't the same from shock to shock.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Good point, I now recall that as well. And from what I remember from PJ's thread, only way to change the oil was to drill n tap the bodies...

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
it wasn't the ONLY, but it made reassembly and refill easier since there was no intake for the gas on the shocks. Basically it turns them into an actually tuneable shock instead of one that just had a set amount of nitrogen in there.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
I was looking for chris's link but couldn't find it earlier.

I think the point is that when it comes to Chinese shocks it pays to be a do it yourself-er, and really informed about them - and then only then do they become a great deal. However most people who buy them just bolt them right on their bikes without regard to whether they are actually working like shocks or not and that is a little worrisome.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Your exhaust flanges are leaking, if you didn't realize that already."
Actually, the paint burned off in that area. Any suggestions on a coating that can withstand both heat & solvents?

Jim B

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ceramic coating would probably do the trick.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Did you do anything to the engine such as a new crank, porting or other machine work? I'm going to be building an R5, or some variation of one, over the next few years and am always looking for more info on various builds, parts and trustworthy machine shops.

Beautiful bike!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts