Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But don't want to get into the cost of a new one. My experience and knowledge of BMWs is right next to nothing. In fact the only European brand I've ever owned we're Bultacos..... So this is new to me. What got me thinking about a BMW was a customer was considering selling a 2007 GS1200 but it's been a couple years now and I don't think it's going to happen so........ I've been cruising Offerup and CL just for some info and found that some could be had for around $5000. Mileage varies from 20000 miles to 50000 miles. It would be nice for longer freeway rides and double up. I would consider it good for my needs. I've always been tempted by the newer ones but the cost is high and it would be nice to get a used one and put some time and miles and experience on one and see if it would be a nice fit. Kinda like I did with HD.

2007 BMW 1200gs for $4850 on OfferUp https://offerup.co/CYbsYq9zb7

For off road....I'm not looking for some real MX performance and mannerisms rather........something that can take me to more remote campsites hauling all the amenities and supplies a week trip would need.

BMW R1200GS for $5999 on OfferUp https://offerup.co/DQLcszeCb7

I'm in no hurry. One of the things I did not like about my KLR was on the freeway... maintaining 80 mph was difficult and tiring. It would be nice for a trip that would entail 1500 freeway miles that the bike be more powerful and perhaps a little heavier than a 650 thumper.

Any insight and information on the BMW or any BMW wo u ld be helpful

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Perfect bike if you are built like young Arnold Schwarzenegger :unsure:
I'm not that guy, it's for giant people.

But I do love the BMW that owned since new in 1986 (y) I'm leaving it to my grandson after I'm done riding it, Just paid up the insurance :/ seven hundred and something bucks I think it was. Likely a third of that much for you. Nice bike to work on, everything fits well and the screws are not made of cheese ;)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not even old Schwarzenegger.

Your accurate as it seems like a bike suited for taller folks. The wet weight of my KLR was about 440lbs. One of these may be around 500lbs. I can handle the KLR just fine for my off road needs as I'm going to be doing nothing like you do. And as I navigate back roads I can see the additional 70lbs not horribly over taxing.....again for my planned use. What I really look forward to is zipping down the expressway and not feeling like I'm red lining.

I'm guessing these are 100,000 mile machines with proper & timely servicing

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yep, the German built BMW's are something you leave your grand kids. They travel in groups so they can pick each other up off the ground or out of the mud, don't really get it myself but I'm spoiled from riding uber light motorcycles.

... you should get a modern trials bike it would blow your mind.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I've never owned a boxer, but owned a couple BMW's inline 4's.

If you aren't buying new, out of the warranty period and used to being on your own, able to get around the crazy parts prices and labor costs by wrenching yourself or being independently wealthy, the experience isn't too bad.

I've heard before the opinion that some pro wrenchers will not own a BMW after 1990's saying the quality control really went down the drain after then. Can't remember with what model...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The K series was the last of the rides BMW designed to be serviced easy,
after that they did anything and everything.

... with any boxer it is pretty easy to work on the top end ;)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before I purchased my HD everyone told me they were piles of shit and broke down a lot..........so I would screen shot these tables of reliability/quality rankings of certain brands and I was always shocked to see BMW with a horrible rating. I mean all I hear is "German engineering this" and "German engineering that" and all I could think about is how about German engineering some reliability in their bikes? But I guess just like the Harley faithful.....it's all part of the ownership experience.

That's why I think that with all these reliability issues how reliable is a 60,000 mile BMW? But since my wife seems more partial to BMW......and getting a Yamaha SuperT would be like trench warfare with her......maybe a repair here or there is my cost of doing business.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know how to edit with this new format but wanted to add.......

My Electra Glide with 103,000 miles really had no mechanical problems. Aside from a compensator and stator that was replaced ....the internal workings were good for another however long. It was the little BS ....nickel and dime stuff that would cripple a ride. No big deal if your going up the mountain for burger and then back down........ but a real pain in the rear if your 800 miles into a ride. In my case it wasn't even really the sensors but the wiring to the sensors and the connectors that would act finicky whenever it felt like it. Like the engine temp sensor showing the motor cold and adjusting the fuel mix accordingly when your in Death Valley in 105 degree heat.........trying your darnest to get that horribly running bike closer to civilization. Or the wiring harness connector to your fuel pump going in and out and not another harness within 3 states. That's what led me to a new bike purchase

Those little things now have thinking about a BMW.....especially considering their reliability ratings.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Here's a typical BMW thing...

New 2020 S1000rr comes with carbon fiber wheels. Owner finds cracks in carbon fiber running from the hub mating surface along multiple spokes. Sends pics and warranty claim. BMW says it's an optical illusion, the bike is safe to ride, they deny the warranty claim...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Holy expensive rims.
Is it a race bike? Manufacturers don't warranty race bikes. Sometimes a distributor might make good on a claim, but you better be one of the riders they want to support to see that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts