Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw this today and I have to say - it is making me seriously consider buying a thruxton:

motoplan fiberglass body stuff. I wonder if all this will work on a new bonnie too, because I can get a really good deal on an older bonnie.

http://www.pakbikes.net/PS1000LE/MOTOPLAN/MOTOPLAN.html

unfortunatly their retro tail for my sport 1000 is fuckin ugly.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
geeto-

in my opinion, the thrux/bonnies are great little underated bikes. i have an '01 bonnie that i put 80K on before i ran it into the side of a mountain. the chassis is the same for the two (thrux and bonnie) with suspension and and cc upgrades on the trux plus the factory cafe stuff (seat and clipons and rearsets, etc). those pipes in your pic are either aftermarket or from the factory scrambler version....the side cover looks just like the OEM number for the scrambler.

i gotta say i loved riding this bike. it could stick with most anything else in the twisties and it was otherwise perfect for just riding around. that and a OHV retro....a fun bike that you could ride forever without any worries.

these guys have some of the best parts:

http://www.mecatwin.com/en/motos/triumph/index.htm

i'm buying a bike this spring and was tempeted to do the bonnie/thrux thing all over again but with the price of the naked 675.....

best-
tt

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Put a Dunstall GT fairing (from glass from the past) on your Duc, and you'd have the same thing. Except it'd be sexy, and exotic, and most importantly - Italian.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you left out fast as fuck. The one thing thatI was always disapointed about the thruxton was it was retardedly slow. The duc has several lbs less and 40hp over it.

However if I could get an older bonnie cheap enough (there was one locally for $2000 not to long ago) it does have one thing over the duc and that is I can park it anywhere and not worry about it. When I was commuting Hells Kitchen regularly I was taking the honda on weekdays and the duc on the weekends (and doing a lap of manhattan after work). The honda would spend 10+ hour days at the curb and nobody noticed. The Duc would be out there for 45 minutes and there would be fingerprints all over it. One time I had to yell at two teenagers because they were taking turns stiing on it (and yes I chain the shit out of that bike when parked).

I am thinning the bike collection down since I am becoming a responsible attached adult. I would rather have a few sturdy bikes than a lot of the fragile classics I have now (I am thinking about the two strokes in particular). Something I can park in NYC and it miracously catches fire I won't even turn around to watch it burn.

unfortunatly, I am deluding myself in thinking I'll be turning a bunch of bikes into anything other than flowers, limos, brides maids dresses, photographer, etc....

Now that the weather is nice again I think I am going to ride to work tomorrow...who knows on what.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:I can park it anywhere and not worry about it.
Very true. Several yrs ago, I had my '72 Bonneville in Chicago visitig a friend - no garage - and I had to leave it ouside oovernight, twice. I too had a very heavy chain, and we blocked half her courtyard with it, since it had a gate.

Still barely slept worrying about it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
For a while i was thinking alot about the whole modern reliable bike with classic looks...and looked into all of my options including the thruxton, the Ducati sport classics, even the enfield bullet (arguably not too modern or reliable though)...but in the end i just bought an '05 sv650. it really doesn't get much more reliable that bike, and with all the money I'm saving from this virtually maintenance free bike I can put into my old shitty cafe racers...win/win!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate the sv650. It isn't a bad bike, just not any that I have any desire to own.

I guess I have the duc and (for now) various cb750s and that will do.

still it is cool knowing this stuff is out there for the new bonnie

·
Registered
84 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mudmonkey

For a while i was thinking alot about the whole modern reliable bike with classic looks...and looked into all of my options including the thruxton, the Ducati sport classics, even the enfield bullet (arguably not too modern or reliable though)...but in the end i just bought an '05 sv650. it really doesn't get much more reliable that bike, and with all the money I'm saving from this virtually maintenance free bike I can put into my old shitty cafe racers...win/win!
My same thoughts / the same reasoning I got my SV. I love spokes, chrome fenders, classic looks, etc. But an SV fits me better than a new Bonneville or Thruxton, oh well. SV650 = good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just get the bonnie I the thrux is almost identical minus very small details like clip ons and rear set pegs, I wanted a sport 1000 but didn't get it for one reason it is a ducati and I ride almost everyday to use a bike like that for everyday wear and tear then chain it up at night by the street would be stupid so I got a brand new out of the box 07 T100 caffeinated it then took out the air box, AI removed, K&N's, British customs predator pipes and I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket.
This thing is no ducati but it does scream when I tell it to and I have ridden it over 16k miles in a year including a trip from san diego to grand rapids Michigan, so in short if you want a fast beater that cleans up nice and you don't have to worry about get a new triumph.

·
Registered
306 Posts
wow geeto,

you HATE the sv650!? please enlighten me as to why you have such an extreme distaste for a bike that is loved by so many (myself included). i love vintage style bikes just as much as the next guy, but i also love the time i'm currently living in, and i love all the advantages modern bikes have to offer. when it comes down to it, performance is equally important as style, and honestly that thruxton is a "retro styled" performance turd compared to the sv. the sv650 is the modern cafe racer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get the thruxton! And I agree with geeto on the sv650, I can't stand them... then again I can't stand any new sport bike. Cookie cutters all of them. You'd be happier with the triumph.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by mudmonkey

wow geeto,

you HATE the sv650!? please enlighten me as to why you have such an extreme distaste for a bike that is loved by so many (myself included). i love vintage style bikes just as much as the next guy, but i also love the time i'm currently living in, and i love all the advantages modern bikes have to offer. when it comes down to it, performance is equally important as style, and honestly that thruxton is a "retro styled" performance turd compared to the sv. the sv650 is the modern cafe racer.
It is a personal thing. The SV650 is too small in displacement and in seating. I did ride an sv1000 once and I thought it a good bike (better suited for me than the 650) but that for the money there were better out there. It isn't a styling thing, I think the sv650 looks ok, it just didn't gel with me as a comfortable bike.

Surprisingly (or unsurprisingly) I find my ducati more comfortable than the sv650 I rode (an 02 model in Los Angeles). This probably has to do with the fact that I am 6'5 and the reach to the bars on the duc is really long (riders under 6' complain about it a lot), where as the compactness of the 650 had me kinda balled up. My 75 cb750 was a couch compared to the sv and really there is no noticable power difference.

My 1978F makes almost as much hp as the SV and feels like you are going 10 times faster.

The other thing I didn;t like was the bike was too neutral. It had no real quirks to speak of. I prefer bikes with quirks. The most neutered UJM I ever rode was a honda 450 hawk. No balls, no road feel, it was a bike that was for lack of a better term too easy to ride. It did everything mediocre and nothing really well. With the exception of the no balls part (the sv seems to have a decent sized pair) the sv reminded me of that. It had lots of potential and I could see why people love to use them as track bikes, commuters, etc...but for my tastes it was to sterile. Up till that point my only other suzuki v-twin experence was a TL1000R (ironically enough that was at my local ducati dealer as a used bike and I took for a test ride) and that had character in spades. It was the opposite of the sv650.

Bottom line, if a bike doesn't make me feel like I am cheating death just a little when I ride it, then I don't really like it. For some reason a lot of the new middleweight nakeds do this to me. I liked the honda 919, but despised the 599. Love the z1000, hate the new z750. The break from this is the Ninja 650 - rode one in vegas and that bike was just a ball of fun.

BTW, if you haven't noticed I bogart bikes any and every chance I get. Dealer Demo days, shows, bike nights if someone wants to hand me keys I am gone. To me bikes are like a good pair of shoes, you never know if you are going to like them until you try them on. If any of you all are local I am just as generous with my bikes, with the exception of the ducati, my ninja, and my cb750. The ducati because it isn't paid for yet, the ninja because my family has owned that bike for 20 years in pristine condition (my father is the original owner), and the 75 cb750 because that is my daily driver (and I do bend the rules on my 75 if you can demonstrate you know how to ride a big bike).

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another thing, while I will agree that the new sport bikes look like cookie cutters, and the whole hip hop nation fawning over them and stunting doesn't help, the new liter class and middle weight sport bikes have character. Unfortunatly most of that character screams "I AM GOING TO KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" so it can be kind of intimidating.

My buddy lent me his R1 a couple of years back (when it was a new bike) and that bike has more character than a lot of other vintage bikes I have ridden. The trouble with it is that it is so confidence inspiring that it doen't take a lot of balls to ride fast, but it does take a lot of skill. I can understand how kids kill themselves onthese machines because it is easy to confuse balls for skill, but the truth is if you know what you are doing on a bike you feel safer on the R1 in a 90mph left hand sweeper, than you would on say a hot rodded mid 70s cb750. the bike is just to predictable.

Basically it comes down to riding an old bike fast is a little more art than science whereas riding the r1 fast is more science and skill than art.

·
Registered
306 Posts
well as far as the cookie cutter thing goes...jap bikes have ALWAYS been cookie cutter bikes. the new ones just haven't had time to become nostalgic yet.

also, i agree with you on the differences between riding a new and old sport bike, but i actually don't need to feel like im cheating death when i ride. nope, i am not 2 fast, or 2 furious. otherwise, i probably would have gotten an R1 or a Hayabusa. for me, the sv650 is perfect...fast enough to get me to work when i sleep in, nimble enough to feel comfortable on canyon rides. top speed of about 135, i really don't need to go any faster than that. for me, the sv has a little of everything, AND it's cheap! (i paid 6K OTD in '05)

i can definitely see the comparison between the modern sv650 and the old honda mid-size twins, but i think what you don't like about them, is exactly what i like about them. relatively fast (though certainly not the fastest), cheap, and most importantly easy and fun to ride. yeah that 70+HP cb750 might be great for drag racing or going in a straight line, but in that first hairpin canyon turn you'll quickly realize all of its limitations (or you won't, because you'll be dead).

my thing with the thruxton is mostly just about paying NEW money for OLD technology. it seems like such a waste...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the thruxton, how is it old technology? It is a brit bike that starts every time, doesn't leak copious amounts of oil, doesn't require its own set of tools - I would say that for the british that is new technology.

Apparently the one thing you don't do in this world is openly bash the sv650. Normally my antics usually get a few "you are full of shit posts", This time I am getting phone calls telling me I am full of shit. I wonder if the sv650 cult performs human sacrifice....

I am not too fast too furious when it comes to bikes but I don't like bikes that lull me into daydreaming.

And with either the 650 or the cb750 I think you will run out of road on everyday streets with either bike long before you get to their limits.

·
Registered
306 Posts
haha,

crap i didn't mean to start a bike war! I'm pretty much like you in that i don't take this forum stuff too seriously. this is actually the first forum i've ever participated in...my buddy laurence (speed2xs) knows i'm into vintage and cafe bikes and said "hey you should check out caferacer.net", and i said "hmm....sounds gay." but after checking it out figured it could be a good resource and at the very least a decent time-waster.

also, the sv650 is not the best bike in the world...its just a decent modern workhorse with none of that shitty plastic covering nearly all bikes these days...if mine were crashed or stolen i'd be like "hmm...ok, time for another sv". no big deal, just a bike.

·
Registered
306 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

With the thruxton, how is it old technology? It is a brit bike that starts every time, doesn't leak copious amounts of oil, doesn't require its own set of tools - I would say that for the british that is new technology.
holy crap dude is that serious question? ok, the frame,parallel-twin engine, fuel delivery (carbs), rear suspension, single-disc brakes, spoke wheels. old technology.

that said, i personally think the thruxton has the potential to be a cool bike...minus the gay-as-clubmans "cafe style" tank/seat/fairing combo it could be a very cool machine.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey to be fair I still recommend the sv650 to anybody that is looking to get a newish bike and doesn't want a speed demon, I just wouldn't buy one.

and no mud it wasn't a serious question - it was a joke.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts