Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike is cherry and runs like a dream. However, I am having a tough time finding a tank or any specifications on which tanks I could mod to fit the mounts. There's a rusted/dented one on Ebay with a broken Petcock. Any of ya'll have any suggestions, resources, or think I should invest in a different bike? This bike is nice though.. 00m0m_kEGWY7txBOU_600x450.jpg

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Or I could simply keep the tank. It is really nice. ;)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If it is in such good condition, why mess with it? How much are you buying it for?

Reactions: woodsman

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Whatever floats your boat man. Personally I'd leave it as is, and I think that's the general opinion you will get here.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Buying it for $1500. More like Stealing it for $1500. There are a couple things I want to do to it versus leaving it stock.
It's probably worth more in the realm of $1000, but i'm cheap.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
More like Stealing it for $1500.
The stolen price depends a lot on where you are. A couple months ago I bought a blue one, '83, less than 10,000 miles, stored in a heated garage for $1,050US. ($1,300Cdn) and I feel I was paying top dollar, actually more then I should have but it is a cherry. I bought it because good originals are becoming rare with the "cafe" killing spree that has taken place. Gonna pickle it and then test the market in 15-20 years.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The stolen price depends a lot on where you are. A couple months ago I bought a blue one, '83, less than 10,000 miles, stored in a heated garage for $1,050US. ($1,300Cdn) and I feel I was paying top dollar, actually more then I should have but it is a cherry. I bought it because good originals are becoming rare with the "cafe" killing spree that has taken place. Gonna pickle it and then test the market in 15-20 years.
you should see what they're doing with bikes like these in Japan. it's pretty wild

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
ii looks sweet you say its a steal what does it ride like ? does run good as in can take a whack of throttle ?l brakes work l? no spungy lever ?
does it smoke ? does it leak oil ? what date is on the tires ? what did you get doing a proper compression test ?
you need to have answers to those and other questions before you buy used ,saying its a steal and not mentioning how well it rides sounds a bit spooky

BOO

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
No other tanks fit straight on it. Front mounts will line up with a lot of other GS tanks but the rear will be different.

Just buy it, service it, ride it, enjoy, sell on in 12 months to someone else who will do the same. If you cut it up or try and change it you will just lose money.

And don't come back with this "I wanna make it my own" bullshit - if you want to make it yours then buy a key fob with your name on it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
No other tanks fit straight on it. Front mounts will line up with a lot of other GS tanks but the rear will be different.

Just buy it, service it, ride it, enjoy, sell on in 12 months to someone else who will do the same. If you cut it up or try and change it you will just lose money.

And don't come back with this "I wanna make it my own" bullshit - if you want to make it yours then buy a key fob with your name on it.
a little bit rant-ish,agree with most of it but i don't think its great advice to buy it if the condition beyond how it looks is an unknown,it is quite likely that the carbs and tank ,are sugared up,that alone can be costly
but look at the handlebars now you i both know a normal human cannot actually ride like that
for all we know "buyer" and "sel;ler" are not even from this planet

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
its like this booger hound do you even ride motorcycles ? do you have a good workspace and tools ?
is riding a motorcycle just for the riding is that number one ?
my best suggestion on a change of look in a good usable tank ,is just put it on the other way,backwards
you will, still look more intelligent than 99% of the morons modifying mc's these days

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
a little bit rant-ish,agree with most of it but i don't think its great advice to buy it if the condition beyond how it looks is an unknown,it is quite likely that the carbs and tank ,are sugared up,that alone can be costly
but look at the handlebars now you i both know a normal human cannot actually ride like that
for all we know "buyer" and "sel;ler" are not even from this planet
I was just going off the first line from the OP which said the bike was cherry and runs like a dream. Why fuck with it?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Keep the perfectly good tank on it or replace it with a rusty one from ebay? Hmmmm.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
It isn't that cherry since the wheels don't match. The front is from a GS450L. I wonder why the front wheel was replaced? Was it in a wreck? Is the front end straight/ How about the frame?

Makes me wonder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts