Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is full of cafe racer articles and bikes, the magazine predicts it's the next custom craze. my wife says whenever wal-mart carries cafe racer shirts its time to pack it in. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i ain't packin yet. too many obstacles in the cafe thing to make it a wally-world type product opportunity.
also saw the motogiro west spread....made it sound like they just started the usa giro thing. poor reporting and too bad no mention of the multible years of fantastic, well run motogiros done by bob coy and the uscra. suppose some responsibility lies with our inability to spread the word to the main stream mags like motorcyclist when we started a few years ago. on the other hand, it's a huge country with room for more than one giro so i hope they are successful. great to see passion for old bikesbeing run through there paces instead of quietly hanging out as office/livingroom art pieces.
-parks

·
Registered
699 Posts
if it is the next big custom craze, we are all the pioneers. i know most of us would never dream of selling our bikes, but at least they would be worth more if things got popular.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hell, I just hope it inspires more companies to make more parts. I'd like to see most exhaust, wheel, carb, etc options from major companies.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I say we get in on the ground floor of this thing before its co-opted by some (other) douchebags.

Somebody call the Discovery Channel.

Who's got a shop? We can build themed cafe racers, with like checkers and 59's everywhere. Geeto can be the grumpy but lovable shop foreman.

Or someone pitch a reality show season starring you Wankers. Camera follows you through some races catching the high drama in the paddock (i.e. drinking, shit talking and emergency overhauls apparently--what happened with tt's bike anyway?) as well as the frantic action on the track.

Seriously, though, something will probably happen. It'd be cool if a large group like NYCvinmoto or ChiVinMoto got the call.

·
Registered
699 Posts
yeah, i say we pitch a reality show to discovery. style it after OCC, with Geet being paul sr., hack being paul jr., ken being vinny and i could either be cody or mikey. we'd have to get gogo in on the show too because then we could play on the "girls can do this too" thing. the thing is, if we are going to be just like that show, we are going to have to have somebody make everything for us, and we just bolt it up and take credit for it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
When the harley thing took off you had a small group of diehards who were there from the beginning and when it started to fizzle out those same guys were there. They just went about their business unaffected by any of it and in their own little sub community. Not talking about 1%'ers here, just guys who have always been into this stuff.

I think a lot of us are that way, we were cafe racers (and real racers) before the retro douchebags tagged on to us and we will be here after they have moved on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you ask me it is an attempt to promote their new spin off mag Motorcyclist Classic, or something like that. Large format, european price. first issue had lots of vintage motocross and articles on CB750 and H1 debut in '69. no mention of XS 650 though.

Absolutley no reason to pack it in though. we will let everyone fix up their old bikes, wait for prices and interest to peak and jump on baragins when prices don't hold like people expect. great opportunity to reduce current inventory now on upswing

·
Registered
699 Posts
i am with the rest of the guys, this will only help all of us out. our parts that we have stockpiled will be worth more if we need to sell them, clingers to the scene will pay us money to build stuff for them, and we will be gods for being the OG cafe group. there might be new shops pop up making some new products that we can get our hands on, i dont see this getting popular being a problem at all. let them have a tv show or 5, let them sell clothes at walmart, we were all here before and we'll all be here after. all of us are smart enough to take advantage of things while we can

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't think this is/will be a big craze due to the fact that most of the bikes that are converted are OLD and a larger percentage of them are under 750cc. That's TWO strikes against this craze taking off right there as Americans want NEW crap that looks old school crap,but not really BE old and American buyers have proven they like large displacement machines.

If the bike companies do it on new production bikes then fine,but they of course are just replicas or body work/wheel tweaks on a production bike most of the time. Nothing wrong with that and paying homage to the past is great and all,but don't get it twisted that these bike are anything like a real,no holds barred Cafe or Race bikes that they try to emulate. Most are production bikes with body/exhaust kits.

To do that companies will have to start churning out new frames and a suitable modern engine choices would have to be available. The production choppers you see now are large displacement(if not large power)and are being built on NEW frames. I have a new frame my self for my Harley 883 engine,but I still have to do most of the work myself and most R.U.B. types ain't about to get their hands dirty and build a Cafe bike themselves.

If they HAVE one built the bike is as fake as they are. Nothing wrong with that,but it will be the same as the RUBs are now on Hogs/Choppers who think that by putting their pussified asses on a V-Twin powered bike it makes them some kind of Bad Ass...Wrong and many find that out real quick when they actually come in contact with real bikers!

I'm all for new people learning to ride even RUBs,but PAY YOUR DUES and NEVER look down on anyone that rides an old ratty bike who has ridden more miles than you could every hope to match in your lifetime! Don't act or be someone your not is all I'm saying. You would think they would be ashamed at themselves for looking and acting like fools.

I could be wrong though,but I hope not because all the fake Hog/Chopper assholes running around acting stupid and causing my insurance rate to go up because they bought and crashed a bike they had no business buying/riding a machine like that in the first place.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the cafe racer thing has been big in europe and japan since always and its likely helped there. plus vintage racing and stylized cafe racers are two way different things. i don't think it'd hurt anything as far as obtaining old bikes and parts, i just was a little worried about a big boom in posers (like i am far off). although it still pretty hard to sell anything that looks dated on our showroom floor. and whenever a 900 is too small the cb350 just won't cut it for most people. hell my bike is about the size of a stratoliner escape pod. imagine a 2 liter cafe bike.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I think there is some room for a real MC show about older bikes. I think if it was focused on the mechanical part - like how to rebuild an engine or refab a bike out of the junk yard that might be interesting to 5 people out there... If you really want a show people would tune into - have a little T&A, Track racing with crashes and catboy getting beat up on the internet (sorry catboy). OK you can beat me up instead - as long as I get paid for it....lol

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I think there is some room for a real MC show about older bikes. I think if it was focused on the mechanical part - like how to rebuild an engine or refab a bike out of the junk yard that might be interesting to 5 people out there... If you really want a show people would tune into - have a little T&A, Track racing with crashes and catboy getting beat up on the internet (sorry catboy). OK you can beat me up instead - as long as I get paid for it....lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
"and catboy getting beat up on the internet (sorry catboy). OK you can beat me up instead - as long as I get paid for it....lol"

Hell,...I'D pay to say that!

·
Registered
326 Posts
"and catboy getting beat up on the internet (sorry catboy). OK you can beat me up instead - as long as I get paid for it....lol"

Hell,...I'D pay to say that!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts