Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was working on my 1969 cb350 while i was in school, and that wasn't working out. i moved to delaware briefly over the summer, and was able to get my carbs rebuilt. in august, my significant other and i got a place together, so i'm back in pennsylvania. now that we've got our own place, and i don't have to worry about school, i've finally got time to finish what i hardly started.
we also recently got a 1970's Indian ME125, so i'll do a build thread on that. it won't be for a while, jeremy's going away for 3 months for work, but we'll start that when he gets back.

nice to be on here again, and to see all the new projects. gets me inspired!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Hey toots! How are ya? I hope all is well for you and the lucky guy.

If things don't work out up there you may want to consider coming and wrecking my home before a certain lovely spinster manages to stake a claim.

Are you still on the same schedule or summer sabbatical?

I shall do the ring a ling thing very soon.

Now hurry up and let me see what kind of form this thing is going to have.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you have a new number? i tried to do the ring a ling thing a few days ago.

all is well here, and the lucky guy is doing great. is that certain lovely spinster tyler? :D

i'm on a bit different schedule, 8-4 now instead of 24/7.

i'll be tearing into the engine tonight, gaskets should be arriving today!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
yes I do and sorry I missed your call .....

Ty has three boobies and I have rules about that

I'll buzz you this evening

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
go ahead and take the tape off it

then blast it all with wreckless abandon

you don't necessarily have to blast the valve seats but if you are going to dress them anyhow, it won't hurt so much

the peening will compact the metal's surface and toughen it a bit

then the hot bath

that tape will not keep the beads out of all the nooks and crannies even if you had the ports and chambers masked off

those beads are quite intrusive and persistent

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
easy off oven cleaner will loosen that crud trapped between the fins....

don't blast the engine lower end unless the cases are split and all it's internals are out of them

best is to procure some stainless steel wool

food establishments use it to clean their stainless steel fixtures

and you do know that the beads you blast aluminum or stainless with should not be contaminated by having been used on ferrous metals?

if so, aluminum will develop a white chalky stuff, or worse, continually oozing from it's pores and it will take forever of scrubbing with stainless steel wool to ever get it to stop

it may not ever stop short of reblasting with uncontaminated beads

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the beads are uncontaminated

i won't be blasting the engine lower, i've already got steel wool for that

hot bath tomorrow. for the parts.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
don't use steel wool

find some stainless steel wool

steel wool will do the same thing as contaminated beads, but worse

are the valves unkeyed and removed from the head?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
valves are unkeyed and removed

steel wool is of the stainless variety

engine is all cleaned up. i went to put it back together and realized that one of the rubber pieces from the cam chain tensioner was missing. it didn't fall down into the engine, i don't know what happened to it. so i just ordered another one. then i can put the engine back together. that was a bit of a bummer. oh well, plenty more i could work on until then..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
helicoiled the spark plug ports

valves are back on

put cylinders back on

i'll polish up the crankcase. wasn't about to blast that!

blasted the rims. the front one is pitted too bad to use. gonna order an 18 in, 40 spoke rim so i can use the disc brake off the 19 in rim tex gave me :)

vroom vroom

i'm making a new seat. that one doesn't taper enough, and the tail is just too big for the bike.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Yes, this build does seem familiar...in the sense that we're using the same tank, that is. I will be interested in seeing how you tackle the mounting issue as well as what you do with the seat. BTW I saw in the member's products section that you cover seats -are you still doing that?

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the 350 disk brake sucks. whats the brake/wheel in the backround? i have a nice disk front wheel off of a 550/4 that may interest you. its a larger waay more effective brake for the 350/2. though i think its a 19" variety. ill check today. then youd need some 35mm clamps and forks for it. i have a set of clamps. but they may be taken already. if youre interested. ill see what it is, and if the other guy wants the clamps. maybe we can work a trade. some sparkly green stingray like vinyl for the racebike seat maybe? ill get back to you.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'm not sure what the one tex gave me is from. the wheel in the background is the one that has too much pitting to be used. can't tell from that photo though..
i do have some sparkly green vinyl.. i'm interested in the brake.
i can put it on an 18 inch rim.. as soon as i find one.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts