Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, two random thoughts here. have you guys notice here that about 85% of the bikes here are built BEAUTIFULLY?? i keep looking through the build threads and i have yet to find anything that looks anywhere near hacked up. i'd like to think that this has something to do with the fact that most of us here aren't really newbies and we know what we want and are skilled enough to do things the right way...but then i come across some threads where people are like "this is my first bike" and they build something with incredible detail. maybe cafe people just have good taste...i dont know.

second, i went trail riding today for the first time in a few months. about 20 minutes into the ride i snapped a clutch cable. for the rest of the ride (3 more hours) i rode the woods with no clutch. it was VERY interesting to say the least. however, i did go much faster because i didnt want to stall. my buddy that i went with said "well, now i know how much faster i can go through a few of those sections because you wouldnt let off in fear of stalling!" it was wild and i'm sure i'll feel it tomorrow. but i learned that just because something goes wrong, don't just load your bike up. i learned a few lessons today! that is all...resume public swim

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Nice job with the clutch. I went on a club woods ride recently, mostly single-track with some fairly technical climbs etc. One of the club members brought his 11 year old son, who is more used to motocross but is trying this type of riding. He crashed on the first loop and broke his clutch lever 'cause Dad hadn't installed the bark busters yet. He still rode the rest of the night and completed 3 more laps (each lap takes about 20-30 minutes). I still don't know how he did some of those climbs and descents without a clutch on a KX100.
Good stuff.

FR

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i rode my street bike about 3 weeks ago, for almost a week, with no clutch cable. it was broken. i did realize a cb350 clutch cable will work on a cb550 though. ill tell you this much, it makes fast stops really tricky!

i always have a pile of levers, and a spare cable with me when dirt riding. even had a spare clutch cable on the street bike under the seat for a while.

jc

·
Registered
237 Posts
People tell me my bike looks good, I don't believe them though, I guess thats cause I'm super anal and I noticed every little thing wrong

Been there, it sucks about the cable, I rarely used my clutch anyways on the trails so it was a big difference, the worse part was trying to bump start my bike on flat loose sand while wearing stiff MX boots

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
my bike looks like crap, but its just part of the process, i can't take it apart and send things to be powdercoated or rechromed because i got to ride the dude to work everyday. i just recently started to get compliments on it, i bet just because it's so different than any of the other bloated cruisers around. although

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think that when people are building their own bike,car etc. they take more pride in what they are doing because if it looks like crap then the only one to blame is THEMSELVES. They can't say.."Well,I'm not the one that built it,I bought it that way so that's why it's so ugly". That is sometimes motivation to do a better job since it's a reflection on the builder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts