Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I'm wanting to get rid of the OEM 1975 Honda boatanchor forks. I'd kinda like to stick with 35mm so I don't have to worry about swapping triples though ultimately I could machine new ones to suit any fork I want I suppose.

However, is there a relatively modern (lighter and prehaps cartridge style) 35mm fork option out there? I can adapt cartridge emulators to my existing pogo-sticks but they'd still be massively heavy and I'd like to continue shaving flab off this porky bitch.

So...anyone have any insights?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can bore an extra millimeter out of my existing triples. That's a thought for certain.

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
I dont know what modle Honda you have, but you might look at early CBR600s. the spindle on the lower triple clamp uses the same dia. bearings as most Hondas with 35mm forks, and they have cartridge valves. They are lighter weight too. I have a '75 CB500t, I put CB400f fork on it they fit. you have to shim the bearing a bit and chang the steering stops. The CBR600 also has a 20mm axle so unles you like those Disco looking alloy wheels, you have co change the bearings in a spoke wheel. THe CB500t wheel is the same wheel as many mid sized Honda from this era, I bought new CBR600 WHeel bearings and they fit. these bearings are sealed so I just reamed the seal on the bearing retainer nut to 20mm and cut a piece of pipe to use as a spacer between the bearings

·
Registered
644 Posts
There is a CBR600 front fork and triple clamp on E-bay for $60. + $18. shipping. There's a lot of CBR parts out there, cheap, and it's 20 years better technology, it's usualy lighter and stronger, and still suported by aftermarket suppliers. also it look cool.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I used the forks off a GS 750 (I dont remember the year) They were 35mm and worked great with the CB triples .They had an anti dive thing on the front. I had to machine the caliper mounting lugs to get the calipers to fit the discs (CB 550). I had to drop the forks(inner spacer) to get rid of the 3 inches that was originally above the top tree.
I probably did more mods to get them to work with the CB wheel, but it was years ago and I dont remember the details.
DG

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info all 'round.
I have a fairly well stocked wrecker 5 miles from my shop and another REALLY well stocked one 25miles or so away. I think I'll go poke around and see what I can come up with but I'm now leaning away from 35mm and may even consider USDs if I can find a good deal on a pair of straight ones.....I think finding them straight may be difficult but I dunno for sure.
In any case I think I'll just hog out some new triples unless something OEM really sticks out whilst in-situ....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info all 'round.
I have a fairly well stocked wrecker 5 miles from my shop and another REALLY well stocked one 25miles or so away. I think I'll go poke around and see what I can come up with but I'm now leaning away from 35mm and may even consider USDs if I can find a good deal on a pair of straight ones.....I think finding them straight may be difficult but I dunno for sure.
In any case I think I'll just hog out some new triples unless something OEM really sticks out whilst in-situ....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I've got that chart, that part of the reason why I posed my question though I can see now that I should have stated it more clearly.
What I should have asked is: Is there a 35mm road fork that is lighter and preforms better than the rest.
That being said, I picked up an R6 front end complete for $220 last night.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I've got that chart, that part of the reason why I posed my question though I can see now that I should have stated it more clearly.
What I should have asked is: Is there a 35mm road fork that is lighter and preforms better than the rest.
That being said, I picked up an R6 front end complete for $220 last night.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Please remove that chart. It is pretty obnoxious to have to scroll past it. All that info could have been given as a link.
Swagger,
Check the chopperfix link I posted. It should tell you what your stock bearing sizes are vs the R6 bearing sizes. If the steering stems are close in length, you might be able to order the right bearings to make it a quick swap.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Please remove that chart. It is pretty obnoxious to have to scroll past it. All that info could have been given as a link.
Swagger,
Check the chopperfix link I posted. It should tell you what your stock bearing sizes are vs the R6 bearing sizes. If the steering stems are close in length, you might be able to order the right bearings to make it a quick swap.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Leave the chart up, it's a good resource and laughing at pointless bitching makes me smile......

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Leave the chart up, it's a good resource and laughing at pointless bitching makes me smile......

1 - 20 of 35 Posts