1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Had one. Loved it except that it had the worst ping/detonation under acceleration that I've ever experienced. I researched it at the time and was told that all the mid-late '70s lower displacement BMWs did it. The "cure" was to install an extra base gasket to lower the compression. I traded it for a Guzzi.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am in C'Ville, probably closer to Amherst that you if you need me to ride it or anything. Can't deliver it just yet, I have to get my tow vehicle set up again.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I had an 83 R65LS for a while. Good brakes (dual Brembos and quick handling for a BMW) Really fun bike unde 85 mph. Shorter stroke than any other airhead. Got a little buzzy at certain RPMs 4-5k.
Keep in mind many of the R65 parts are not interchangable with other models. That looks like a 78 with the flat top Bings. The price is fair but as others have said, there is no such thing as a cheap BMW.
I like the 81-84 models best.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after looking at my books and the fact that i have only a few months before i know whether i'm unemployeed or not i decided to pass. It would have been cool but seems like i should hold off on new toys for now. So, anyone want this thing? I can hold it at my place until VIR or maybe for a couple months max.
Mi garage es tu garage!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the only r65 I'd even remotely consider owning is the one with the katanish type 1/4 fairing and corresponding trim bits

and even it's a frail boat anchor

all the ones I've massaged needed a whole heck of a lot more than just bumping compression to get them to keep up with a decent 650 triumph

and that there truism, fellas

is about a bar that's not set very high

I rate the R65's right there with the heron headed 350/500 guzzi

bottom of the barrel

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the only r65 I'd even remotely consider owning is the one with the katanish type 1/4 fairing and corresponding trim bits

and even it's a frail boat anchor

all the ones I've massaged needed a whole heck of a lot more than just bumping compression to get them to keep up with a decent 650 triumph

and that there truism, fellas

is about a bar that's not set very high

I rate the R65's right there with the heron headed 350/500 guzzi

bottom of the barrel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts