Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an exhaust stud on my 350 that has backed out the last two races. I went to NAPA and bought some high temperature threadlocker red automotive grade. On the package it says that the cured product must be heated to 500-600 deg.before parts will seperate. Should I use this product or is there an other option for an exhaust stud? Don't know why this bothers me but the stud may have to be removed for machine work on the head at some point. Will it be a hassle? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I know that Loctite makes a product called "stud and bearing mount" or used to, that was suitable. I guess the other solution is to safety wire the nut to the head.
(You road racers go crazy with safety wire anyway.)

FR

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I'd try the blue stuff first....if the head material gets 500-600 degrees...you got bigger problems than the exhaust stud. Head in general shouldn't get much hotter than about 300 degrees, that area of the head maybe 350 degrees.
I assume they are already lockwired. Do you have new copper o-rings...they will compress quite a bit the first couple of races and let things loosen up.
The blue stuff should work pretty good.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
yeah dude

just lockwire the stud rather than the nut. good idea craig... i have a couple that like to let loose... screw em both , I lockwired em

mr clancy... you have to have a cooler solution similar to the custom countershaft sprocket... ha ha

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
take the stud out. if tex can race with just safety wire and an assortment of various springs, it should be good enough for lonewolf.

someones gotta have a pic of that. by the way, when tex came buy before vir, it took me about 15 mins to get the broken stud out. i couldnt bar watching him run that thing the way he was.

jc

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. Johnny B.yea heating things up to 5 or600 degrees to take it apart would probably render the part useless. Thats why I was worried. Craig your idea sounds good its on to the bolt bin.Joe when the stud broke it was during a race for the next race I put on the same set up you described ,worked great ,real noisey,I worried about how long the valve would take it but I had 2 more races that day. Whats a fella to do?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I like to use set screws rather than actual studs. Measure the hole or screw in a bolt and measure it so you can get a length that bottoms in the hole. Use stover locknuts w/hardened washers. Things'll stay tight.

I never have, but would think the allen in the setscrew would make it a little easier to drill and wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts