Cafe Racer Forum banner

Throttle for '73 CB125

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  44dwarf 
#1 ·
I have a 1973 CB125S that I'm looking to build for my son's first bike. I got the engine work all done and the bike is running. I need to know if anyone has any suggestions for an aftermarket throttle and cable to go on a set of clubmans. The stock throttle assembly while in good shape is not going to work on aftermarket bars without a ton of work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

-Brian

#3 ·
there is a thread about shortening cables somewhere on this site. explains the process of making custom cables.
There are numerous aftermarket throttles for pitbikes that will likely work just fine.

Jaguar above is being cryptic but has a point. He is asking how did you fix footpegs (via installing rearsets) in a position that could (maybe) justify the use of such low bars. CB125 being tiny I seriously doubt you can get reasonable ergonomics from clubmans (which tend to be a crap build cliche). So far more neutral bend would result in a more usable bike.

#4 ·
To Jaquar's point I'm 5'7 and my son who will be the primary rider is maybe 5'2 so ergonomics on the stock foot position isn't that big of a deal. However we are also looking at a couple of solutions to this. If we go that route and get something hammered out I'll be sure to let everyone know. We are also considering a set of flat bars as opposed to the clubmans but the throttle issue is still valid.

I've looked at some of the pit bike throttles but was hoping someone had a better solution that would include the electrical controls for lights etc. I should have been more clear on that.

And while I agree the clubmans are a bit cliche the kid likes them and since this project allows us to spend time together as opposed to him spending time with his xbox I'm open for anything up to and including a banana seat, sissy bar and mylar tassels hanging of the bars. We are wrenching together and that is what matters.

-Brian

#7 · (Edited)
I'm kinda with steveo..........why won't they fit?

As far as shortening the cables that's super easy. You can always find barrel clamps but more over you can cut carefully and solder the connectors back on. I've done this many, many times and had only one fail and that was my fault. You drill out the barrel ends.....flange it out on one side a little and solder up after you spread the wires a tick and walaa. ......no problem.

Have fun and don't feel bad about the banana seat and stuff.......my daughter has been hinting on a Firestone big little 125 or something and although I will insist on some things..... we will build it anyway she desires. When young girls look like they do and they're at that age they do not stay "daddy's little girl" for long.

Good luck...

Oh yeah you tube for shortening cables.

Had to edit.......when I mean solder I mean with a light torch

#8 · (Edited)
At the risk of being ridiculed and losing any chance of ever being one of the cool kids around here, a counterpoint to the anti-clubman, gotta have rearsets with lower bars crowd:

I apologize for posting that image yet again but for the three of you who haven't seen it, that's a bike with clubman bars and standard position footpegs. What's lost in that photo is how small the bike is. I agree that on full size bikes the combo is often not a great option but on small bikes I'm not sure it matters much. In this specific case it matters not at all.

Of course that's just my toy bike, put together using a "spare" bike purely for fun. 99% of that bike is for looks, I took a beat to hell undesirable Ducati and made that out of it simply because I could. It can't get out of it's own way, can do zero to sixty most (ok, some) days, and is not what I consider to be a "cafe racer" but I post about it here anyway. But enough rambling, how would Ducati do it on a slightly bigger bike, say, the Diana, which is one of their more desirable singles from the era?

Alrighty then, low bars (granted they're clip ons) and standard pegs from the factory... The similar Mach 1 used rearsets but the point is on smaller bikes not even the factories consider the standard footpeg position an instant fail with lower bars.

As for clubmans, they get a bad rap around here. IMHO it's because too many people install clubman bars that don't fit the bike (and/or think that clubmans define the bike as a "cafe racer"). It's not a one size fits all type of thing. I have a cheap set at home that don't work well on anything, the angles are wrong. I spent more money on some better quality sets though and they work great. Choose wisely and you're good.

You're putting together a bike with your kid. Bravo. Use (well fitting) clubmans and don't worry about the footpeg position until it presents itself as a problem. For the love of all things holy just don't flip the stock bars upside down and use a skateboard deck as a seat...

#10 ·
Exactly. There is a slot cut in the bar under the throttle tube. A flat bar sits in this slot which connects to the cable. The flat bar has a protrusion that fits into a spiraled slot on the inside of the throttle tube which causes it to pull when you twist the throttle. Seems overly complicated to me but I'm assuming Honda had a reason beyond making it a bitch to replace.

I'll check out some trail bike guys in the area and see what they laying around. But I'm kinda digging the skateboard deck for seat idea but I think the grip tape might be more than my seed bag can deal with.

-Brian

#13 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.