Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
How long has the bike been sitting, how old is the fuel, and have you checked the carbs for clogged jets or water or rust? if all is clean and fresh, when does the problem occur; quick acceleration or easy roll-on? if it happens during quick accel from idle then try a little more on the fuel screws or maybe raise the jet needles one clip position (drop the clip one position). If an improvement is noticed, you're on the right track. If the problem occurs with a smooth, easy, roll-on accel then go up on your mains. watch your plugs anyway just to make sure, and if your carbs are equipped with an accellerator pump, then check the diaphragm as well as its passages to make sure they're working.

good luck, and what kind of bike is it anyway?

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

·
Registered
266 Posts
Usually what will cause that is running too rich, check your plugs. If your bike needs a lot of work it is anyones guess

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Registered
278 Posts
You guys just said opposite things. My vote's with Pete - I'd suspect starvation before richness. My experience has been that over-rich settings will likely cause you to bog down at acceleration, but are unlikely to cause the bike to die (unless your plugs are completely fouled, in which case it probably doesn't want to idle either).

Are the carbs CVs or direct linkage? If direct (i.e. mikunis), a good yank bank will likely kill the bike unless done with some finesse because the carb doesn't have time to compensate for the massive increase in airflow with matched fuel.

How about some details - what's the carb, jetting, exhaust mods, etc., and what do you mean by "give it a bunch of gas"?

A

·
Registered
266 Posts
It could be either problem but I am going with running rich, so If you can let us know what the problem was Johnny that would be good mmmmmmk. Also some more information would help in the diagnosis.

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the bike had been sitting for a few weeks. the battery had died so i replaced that, the tank was empty so i put some in. i tried starting it for ten minutes or so with mixed results... (i suspect on of my coils is wiggy which i'm sure didn't help it would occasionally start but i would have to keep the rpms above 2k but below 5k or it would die. an hour later i went outside and it started right up, no problems. I guess the gas just needed to run through the bike for a while. so moot point now i guess. thanks for the info anyways guys.

peace

1 - 6 of 6 Posts