Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have slowly been re-aquring all the machines/ tools I sold off after my last 'shop' job. The TIG is on-deck. I have always used Miller 330/350's BUT, I don't construct dumpsters or weld 1" thick material so the smaller machines are looking pretty good. Anyone have an opinion?

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

Edited by - ROSKO on Dec 27 2006 10:07:48 PM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Rosko,
Those small units look like the new "Inverter" technology units. Very very nice....from what I hear they kick the shit out of my old full size Synchro...in both power and performance.

Some of the new Inverter units are "variable frequency" which from what I hear is the absolute tits for welding anything. The guy I talked to who has one says it makes welding aluminum as easy as mild steel. Something about varying frequency makes it way easier...I don't really understand the technology but it's supposed to be great. It's my next welding purchase when my Miller dies.

They ain't cheap though. But hell, it will take up about 1/4" the room my 400 lb Synchro does.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've talked with a rep from Miller and watched him use that same welder, it was sweet. If I ever have that kind of money to spend on a welder thats that one I'm getting.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
my buddy randy uses a big esab unit but is buying a new miller syncro 200. he also has one of those little "strap ons" and it does a really nice job. we've used it in peoples houses for doing small things on installs. he runs it off like a 10hp honda generator.

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
The old synchrowaves like mine are dynosaurs. Big circuit boards with descrete components, giant ass transformers etc. The new inverter rigs are all solid state, very dependable. But yeah, they cost just as much as the big old school units.
It's hard to believe but these little 60 lbs units do the same work, and better, than the old big units.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the tig we have at the motorcycle shop is about the size of a refrigerator.

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
What pictures?

Been welding for a while now...seen a lot of equipment. When someone says refrigerator and TIG, I always think Linde...cause that's what they look like. Like Dr. Frankensteins Fridge.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
weren't linde (union carbide) actually mfg. by hobart but badged with the linde name?

tex

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
quote:
weren't linde (union carbide) actually mfg. by hobart but badged with the linde name?
tex
Yeah that's more than possible...Linde was for the most part a compressed gas company I think...like Air Products is now. I know Hobart was one of the first to develope TIG into a consumer product. I seriously doubt Linde had the manufacturing capability to build large electric welders....so somebody had to make them.
JohnnyB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts