Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've looked all through my shop manual and can't find specs on how tight to make the axle sleeve/nut.

can one of you boys help me out?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's the snug part that makes me wonder. as I tighten it down the wheel spins less and less freely, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing in this case or not, my senses tell me not...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
did you lube the dust covers with some grease? are you sure you pounded the bearings all the way seated?
but actually with the cotter pin thru the castle nut, i wouldn't think it would need to be that tight. maybe 15 ft/lbs or 20. i'm curious what the specs call for to.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
If the wheel spins less freely as you tighten the axle you have a problem. Did you put the bearing spacer back in between the two bearings inside the hub? If not you are seriously side loading the bearings and they will fail in short order.

If you did put it in, then stick your finger through a bearing and feel it....it should be snug in there...if it's rattling around, then either the bearings are not seated or the spacer is the wrong one.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
One point - make sure the bottom fork caps are installed correctly. The honda fork caps are offset with one side that is slightly higher than the other side of the cap. The higher end is installed on the front side of the forks.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Another important point.....tighten the axle on the wheel while applying the brake (I use a clamp to do this). Unlike most bikes where you can do this process on the forks...with some of the Hondas it has to be done with the wheel off the bike.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured it out, nothing very involved.

The wheel is from a recent bike purchase and I'm still familiarizing myself with the work the PO did. I compared the spacer on the axle to one from another one of my bikes and it was too big, problem solved.

thanks for the other suggestions. I'll keep those in mind for the future...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts