1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I don't know if you have the capabilities but if you do, make your own rigid frame for it. This way you can really stretch it up as well as out and keep the engine level in the frame, a problem some honda chopper builders have (it is necessary for the engine to sit level so the oil sump sits in the oil). if you are going to use the stock frame then hardtail it. nothing breaks the look of a real 70's chopper than rear suspension.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I don't know if you have the capabilities but if you do, make your own rigid frame for it. This way you can really stretch it up as well as out and keep the engine level in the frame, a problem some honda chopper builders have (it is necessary for the engine to sit level so the oil sump sits in the oil). if you are going to use the stock frame then hardtail it. nothing breaks the look of a real 70's chopper than rear suspension.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Sounds great. One of the next things I'm going to do is a little chop. There was an XS400 for sale nearby me that it took all of my newfound frugality to not swoop up.

Agreed it should be a rigid, shocks spoil the aesthetic.

If you're going to build a high-neck bike this doesn't apply so much, but somehow there's a proportion that needs to exist. I hate a lot of the XS chops that are stretched four or so inches and then have a stock neck. They look to me like someone ran them into a wall. Get the proportion right and you can paint it pink and purple with tassels on the bars and it'll still be badass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts