Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Creepy and sad at the same time. Its like The Grudge with that kid in the closet...

Sad because she is almost 60 living in some dudes closet for a year.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Good thing that happened in Japan. If it had happened in the States the ACLU would have been suing the guy for half he owned because in their eyes they'd have been co-habitting for a year and that making her live in the top shelf of his closet was cruel and unusual circumstances.
He's lucky they frown on human rights over there boy!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
dude,

the aclu are not to be despised. they represent/defend civil liberties and freedom.

you live in canada, right?

give me a break.

tex

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Reminds me of "Bad Ronald".

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BANDIT

Good thing that happened in Japan. If it had happened in the States the ACLU would have been suing the guy for half he owned because in their eyes they'd have been co-habitting for a year and that making her live in the top shelf of his closet was cruel and unusual circumstances.
He's lucky they frown on human rights over there boy!
wow....what a complete misunderstanding of how our legal system works....yeah I know it was a joke but if you knew how our legal system actually works it would not really be that funny. More than likely here she would have been arrested for several home invasion related felonies and then depending if she was released till her trial date or not, most likely serve time or end up with a warrant for her arrest for failure to show up for the trial. at that point it would be extremely difficult for her to crawl out of the hole. The aclu would not have even come into the conversation.

I am not sure where she would have been worse off...here in the states or in japan. In the US we have a lot of homeless assistance programs which could have provided some help, at the same time I hear the experience is hellish (in the shelters). More often than not in america if you are homeless you are mentally ill, extremely sick, or are battling a massive substance abuse problem (or multiple problems).

In japan, there was nearly no homeless problem until the dot-com era of the 1990s, and then their homeless population shot up. Japan has virtually no assistance for the homeless who live in 1930s america style shanty towns on public land. On the flip side most of the homeless there are otherwise employable people, since japan has social programs that deal with the mentally ill, sick, and addicted.

either way it is creepy to think about someone living in your house.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I lived in Tokyo in 1980 and 81. It was a great experience all around however........

Things would randomly disappear from our house while we were away doing typical touristy crap. Because of our particular family dynamic, I generally got hammered on for 'losing' whatever happened to be missing. We lost all manner of stuff, a VCR, cloths (especially my Levis), some of Mom's jewelery and finally the families silver.
It was not a good time for me.....

We came back late summer of 81 and within a month received a call from Dad's boss over there saying that the police had found that a man and woman were living under our house, had dug out a fairly good sized three room apartment with wood floors and plastered walls! We lived in a western style (read as: American) house but there wasn't even a crawlspace that we knew of.

Apparently this is not all that unusual there.....at least that's what the investigator told the cat that called up. We got some of the stuff back, but not all.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by pampadori

that is fucking wierd! they basically made a house under your house. that is creepy as shit.
as creepy as it is...I wish the homeless in NY were this proactive. If you really want to know creepy, read Jennifer Toth's "the Mole People" about the underground cities below NY. Super creepy...espically the guy they refer to as the devil.

·
Registered
204 Posts
sounds like any Mole People stories from J Toth should be approached with more than a little bit of cynicism. apparently even Canada has heard of the ACLU and the American legal system......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts