Cafe Racer Forum banner

Timing?

844 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Trefmawr 
#1 ·
Well it's getting warm enough to do serious work on the bike, and so I tried another starting today, but without much success. I noticed something though, and I think it has to do with the valve timing. When turning over, air is pushed out of the carbs, as well as the exhaust. When I was spraying starter fluid in, and then cranking it over, it would just shoot back out at me. Logic dictates that there should be suction there correct? Am I just stupid? (Yes :p) I thought I had the timing punches lined up correctly when installing the cames, but maybe they're a touch off. I will be checking tomorrow.

-------------
Le Canuck
My Bike on Flickr

Discussion starter · #3 ·
New development:

Today when I tried firing it up again, with gas and starter fluid, it sounded like it caught one ignition (like a small bang) then the carbs flew off with a loud pop. I had them on pretty tightly too, enough so that I couldn't pull them off without great effort at least. It smelt like something had been burned, so maybe it fired once?

Either way I don't think it's supposed to shoot the carbs off like that...

-------------
Le Canuck
My Bike on Flickr

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Man. I'm one dumb bitch. So I had the "correct" TDC Mark on the timing advance, but the wrong piston mark. I had my cams backwards! My god I feel so dumb, but so relieved now that it's fixed. And guess what?

She fires!

Now all I have to do is figure out what's up with my accelerator pump, as when I turn the petcock on, gas just starts dumping over the 2nd carb. I lost the little rubber grommet that goes on the rod connecting the pump and the throttle body, but would that make such an impact?

I must have forgotten to clean something...

-------------
Le Canuck
My Bike on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.