Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello from Canada, new member here so I hope this is the right section 馃檭

I have a 1980 Yamaha XS850 that's been a gradual restoration project with the occasional tweak here and there (It now runs carbies from a late 90s Triumph Trophy, and am working on a custom airbox). Have put about 3500km in the saddle over the past year with the stock Bridgestone Battleaxe tires, all on twisty roads.

Long story short, I can talk about jets and cam profiles all day but my brain gets fuzzy when I look at tire sizes.
I have a new set of wheels ready to go on:
Rear 18 X 2.15
Front 18 X 1.85
Wondering what size tires I can get away with. Looking at putting a modern dual-compound performance street tire on it and wouldn't mind some recommendations. In the past I tend to want to put Michelins on everything with wheels. I do ride in the rain on occasion.

Registered
So I'm a huge fan of Avon Roadriders.

Other members here have their preferred tires as well, any of the suggestions you get will be good ones to go with.

Registered
Best performance tires are radial tires, but 18" rims limit your options. The selection of performance tires is far better in the 17" rim size and modern tires are typically much wider. Best rain tires I ever rode on are soft compound radial tires, the rubber compound and tire construction is what makes the difference way more then the tread pattern.

( Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa (y) ) <- it's about a 300$ tire that you can't fit on that bike but wow do they ever stick good on the wet.

Registered
Best performance tires are radial tires, but 18" rims limit your options. The selection of performance tires is far better in the 17" rim size and modern tires are typically much wider. Best rain tires I ever rode on are soft compound radial tires, the rubber compound and tire construction is what makes the difference way more then the tread pattern.

( Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa (y) ) <- it's about a 300$ tire that you can't fit on that bike but wow do they ever stick good on the wet.
Hello Blue,
My two friends and I have been racing vintage bike for a few years. Most of the classes we are now competing in have rules that allow any wheel size but for you vintage racing is getting more and more popular all the time. Because of this new popularity the tire manufacturers are starting to produce race rubber tires in street (threaded) configurations because some of the race organizations do not allow slicks. If I remember correctly Metzler is coming out or has started building a line of tire that should work well on your motorbike. Race rubber will not get you the miles that street rubber would but they will do fairly well if maintained (keep checking the air pressure) and as TR said they are not bias ply old school tires but rather radials so they'll work much better.

Cheers

Registered
continental are making skinny radials, but not sure if they're that skinny. you'd be looking at 90/90 front and 100 or 110 rear with those rims? new bridgestone bt46 out too. the bt45 always seemed to be very popular with my customers.

avon website has rim width recommendations as part of the tyre spec. always handy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts