Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike partner picked up a very nice GT last summer. The tires have hit the date stamp and he is trying to decide what to put on. Neither of us has bought a performance street tire in a lot of years and really don't know where to start looking.

A little background on him. He has a chronic back problem, as many tall guys do, so we can only fold him up on a bike for about 30 minute stints and he has to stop and stretch out, he will never use it for touring. We are working on finding the right bars to get him more upright. The bike will be ridden in the dry and generally for the short, early morning runs through the twisties. He will out date the tires before they have mileage problems so wear rate is of little concern. No brand loyalties.

Pretty standard sizes-120/70-17 front, 180/55-17 rear. Looking for dry weather performance. What would you put on?

Sorry, not a great picture.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I love the Dunlop Q3+. I haven’t tried the Q4, as it is more of a track tire and I haven’t done a track day on my R6 in a few years. I did not like the Q3. There were some wear issues that seem to be taken care of on the Q3+. I don’t get a ton of miles out of tires.... generally between 3k and 3.5k, but that’s because of the riding they see (pretty much 100% hard twisties).
I ran Michelin Pilot Power 3’s for a while before Dunlop replaced the Q3. They work fine when new, but have a huge drop off when worn. I find the Dunlop’s have a more gradual drop off, but this has been my experience with Michelin since they came out with the Pilot tires in the 90’s. They stick great..... until they don’t. I also personally like the stiffer sidewalls on the Dunlops over the more flexy Michelins and the really flexy Perelli/Metzelers.

I haven’t tried the Bridgestone sport tires. Heck, I’m not even sure what their current one is called.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the Dunlop Q3+. I haven’t tried the Q4, as it is more of a track tire and I haven’t done a track day on my R6 in a few years. I did not like the Q3. There were some wear issues that seem to be taken care of on the Q3+. I don’t get a ton of miles out of tires.... generally between 3k and 3.5k, but that’s because of the riding they see (pretty much 100% hard twisties).
I ran Michelin Pilot Power 3’s for a while before Dunlop replaced the Q3. They work fine when new, but have a huge drop off when worn. I find the Dunlop’s have a more gradual drop off, but this has been my experience with Michelin since they came out with the Pilot tires in the 90’s. They stick great..... until they don’t. I also personally like the stiffer sidewalls on the Dunlops over the more flexy Michelins and the really flexy Perelli/Metzelers.

I haven’t tried the Bridgestone sport tires. Heck, I’m not even sure what their current one is called.

The 800 Monster we bought has the Q3's so I did read some reviews on them. They are well liked and they said them same, as far as mileage, 3-35. I like the made in the USA stamp a lot. Unfortunately I don't think I will get a chance to ride them far enough to get them working, it's going for up sale this week. Another 4 to 6 weeks before the roads are clear of salt residue and sand, slippery stuff.

Thanks for the input. He won't be pushing, as I picture you doing, but he still wants the confidence they are there and paying attention.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I run the Dunlop Sportmax GPR300 on my CB900f and they are great so far.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Do you mile out tires or do you generally end up with them stale dated?
I ride them until they are trash on bikes, on cars and trucks completely different, the safety part is more important, my trials competition tires I donate to people that really need them or stud them for winter and that completely trashes them in one season. Sometimes I even get a new tire for christmas or birthday presents win them at events and things like that :cool:

Stud season is done as of March 24 time to put on some fresh rubbers yay 18 above tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Im a huge fan of the Michelin "power" series.

Have the Power 5 on my DD, Power RS/GP on the fun bikes, and power cup 2 on the "I only care about performance" bike.

·
Registered
840 Posts
michelin power 5, dunlop q3, bridgestone s22, pirelli diablo rosso 3 or corsa 2, any other brand sports tyre.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts