Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need tires for my FZ. I guess Avon doesn't make Super Venoms anymore. So I'm thinking either Pirelli Sport Demons or Avon Roadriders. Anyone have any experience with these tires, or have a better idea?

I'm a little up in the air about sizing. Standard sizes are 120/80 rear, 110/90 front. Right now it's got a 130 rear, 120 front.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Ratty,
I would go with the Bridgestone BT-45V. As far as sizes goes, that depends on the rim width. I don't remember what the FZ has but I think it is a WM-2(2.15) front and a WM-4 (2.85) rear. If that is the case then I think 110 front and a 130 rear would work well. I ran that on the Seca 550 last year and the front was good and the rear was on a WM-3 and didn't work well because the profile was wrong and it slid around on the track. Are you planning on only street riding or do you have some racing thoughts?

Ken

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken,
It's got a 2.75 rear, so a 130'd be fine. 2.50 front. I don't know, could do either a 110 or a 120.

Working on the 86 so I'm gonna keep it close to stock, set it up for aggressive sport touring. Working on the rear suspension now. Have the swingarm off, lubing the pivots. Can't decide, I've got a low mile stock shock or may call Works Performance tommorrow and see what they'd hook me for a new one. FYI the 86 shock is eye to eye, the nicer shock I have is an 88 which is eye to clevis. Looks like the ends will interchange, but it makes me wonder of there's any functional difference in the linkage. My 88's in storage so I didn't take time to look at it tonight.

Going to do braided lines, fork springs, and maybe a steering damper when I get to the front. Any fork tips?

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Ratty,
If you go with a 120 front the steering will be a little heavier. With the 16 in front that may not be a bad idea. If the 120 clears the fender and looks good I would lean that way. I have been thinking about getting a rear shock for an R6 and trying that. They are all over e-bay for next to nothing, but I haven't checked length or mounting system yet. As far as the front end goes, Progressive suspension springs and good fork oil is all I know to do. That is what I am going to do on my race bike to start with.

Ken

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got Bridgestones mounted. Was doing the fingernail softness test when it dawned on me I own a durometer now. Stuck both them and the Pilot Powers on my '01. Got very similar numbers, but it's hard to be accurate on such a round tire. My shock showed up Thursday. Got a Works Ultrasport. Not sure how to set ride height as both my stock shocks turn out to be junk so don't have anything very accurrate to compare to. It will be awhile till I have time to put it together anyhow. Been researching the forks. Don't like progressive springs in general so I think I'll stick in Race Tech springs with their emulators. Spec 2 still shows a steering damper kit on their website.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Ratty,
I have been looking at trying to put an R6 or R1 rear shock on the FZ. Any idea if that might fit? I have used stock GSXR steering dampers on my race bikes. They seem to work good and are cheap on e-bay. I think the BT-45s would work for a track day.
Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts