Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, newbie here. I've recently bought a Honda CB250 for my very first project. I've cleaned up a large amount of rust on the exhaust, however there is a lot of corrosion. I'm wondering if it's too much and if I will have to spend big on a new exhaust system? I'd like to clean them up myself if possible and exhaust wrap them, so I'm not really concerned with the appearance (also not sure if this is a terrible idea given the amount of corrosion). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank's guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You would be best to prep and paint them with a vht paint. Wrapping is going to hold moisture against the pipes.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Is it a double walled pipe? Honda often used a thin pipe inside a thin pipe so that heat does not blue the chrome as badly. Not sure if they did that with your models or not. It is one of the reasons the headers can make a rattle noise when they get old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@woodsman Good point. I'll end up spraying it. Which should be okay to wrap over, given it would be a primer and a colour?

@TrialsRider I can't seem to tell if it's double walled or not. Doesn't seem to rattle.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Wrapping an exhaust serves no purpose but to rust it and waste your money.

If this is your first project then your focus should be on making the bike better. Does the engine run properly, does the transmission shift, does the electrical system charge? Do you have a plan/budget that focuses on the mechanical workings first? You going to ride it or park it in front of things and take pictures?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's true, functionally I don't think it makes much of a difference. It's purely a cosmetic preference, which I wanted to pull off later down the track.

In fact, that's actually my primary goal right now, to do my first service then tune up. I'd like to take it apart and clean/service each part.

Right now it's a bike for learning mechanics

1 - 6 of 6 Posts