Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me just go ahead and apologize now for this question and future dumb questions. I am Sorry. What is wrong with my bike?

Problem - 76 CB500T ran fine until this weekend. Now it runs fine low RPM/low speed for 5-10 mins (cant stand going slower any longer than that). As soon as i spin it up on major road, i have about 45 seconds till i lose all power and it eventually dies. Basically cruising at 55+ then i have to clutch it and rev 1/2 throttle just to keep it from dying. Unfortunately it dies and i have to wait 3-5 mins before i can start it only to repeat the whole process over again.

Other Pertinent Info - Just bought the bike 1 month ago. I decided i would just ride it till season is over. (VA) Then i would go through full tune up/rebuild process over winter. I put around 100 miles on the bike, then i changed plugs and oil. Forgot to buy oil plug gasket and put in 3 qrts b/c that is what manual said to do. Rode the bike for 20 miles parked it and then that is when the problems started. I checked the oil today (now that it is back at my house) and it seems 3 qrts may have been a little too much. 2-2.5 max. Unfortunately plug is on way too tight now so i will not be able to remove till tomorrow (bigger tools). Anyone got an extra oil drain plug?

Is the oil my problem or is there somthing else i should check short of a full tune-up? Sorry for long ass post.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Sounds to me like your problem is fuel delivery. More specifically your carb float bowls are draining faster than your petcock can refil them. Try removing the tank, cleaning out the petcock and running some fresh gas through. Another thing you might want to check is to pull the float bowls and make sure the floats are not getting stuck in the up position.

As for the oil the only thing I can think of is that the overflow on some hondas goes into the airbox and when you get on it the oil gets pushed out the breather into the airbox and temporarily clogs the filter. I don't know about 500Ts but there are other honda models where this was a problem.

Is you are afraid you over filled it, drain the oil out and put the correct amount in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts