Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
what kind of gearing do you have to run to hit 160? HAHAHAHAHA! besides the pipes though, that doesnt seem like too bad of a deal...bike looked clean

·
Registered
4,721 Posts

maybe somebody would believe that if he had ridden it another 417.8 miles?

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

ghey. I don't think the speedos even go to 160, 140 or 150.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
yeah hack...I meant to say cb750 speedos only go up to 140 or 150 not 160. I will say though it is not uncommon for the cb750 speedo drive to malfunction and read either really slow or really fast. If the speedo goes bad you could potentially read uber fast, like buried when in reality you could be doing 90mph.

·
Registered
854 Posts
and let me tell ya...it was quite a bike show! all four bikes in town showed up!!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
oh we've all heard about those really fast this or thats

have heard a funny one more times than I can count from a local about a really scary ragged IH sporty

tells me (and it has stock gearing which is not quite suitable for even 70mph cruising) it will wheelie in three gears (ok, plausible with a good wheelie artist) yet amazingly enough has top end in excess of an unthinkable 140

I think the last time he told me that I simply replied to him that I was certain it wouldn't even hang with my 750 Triumph which is geared really really tall....... not much of a hole shot at all but somebody better have a for real IH or CB to hang with it at speed

In fact, I seriously doubt it could sustain cruising with my lil 45 inch flatty

too bad it won't stay together long enough to find out

I posted pix of a really ragged CB750 a while back that I put a muffler on for a local

I can't count how many times he told me it would outrun this or that 07-ish crotch rocket

rear sprocket was nearly 60T

now he was about crazy and rode like he had angels clearing the way for him...... wrecked it twice before finally selling it for scrap

but I thrashed that bike good a proper with my lil pushrod bobber

kinda had him dismissing his fanciful notion of running my docile seca for money

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I think if I lived closer I'd go have some fun with that guy and see about how willing he was to prove to me it would even break 130

Thinking I'd be willing to pay twice his price if he could show me and be satisfied to take his bike away from him if he's full of it

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I saw an inidcated 135mph on my K5 back when she was running tip top. I happened to run through one of those MPH police signs and that sign showed me 112-113mph so, so much for breaking the sound barrier.

back in louisiana there used to be a guy with a cb750 with a rear sprocket that was bigger than a chaffing dish. Thing was huge. nothing could touch that bike up to 60mph.

it is all in the rider. On my morning commute my cb750 used to trash cbr600s and fzr600s all the time, and it has no business beating those bikes with my fat ass on it.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Thats a bargain! The Bonneville record for 750 Modified Gas is only 161mph. 2 grand and a little effort and you could be a record holder. Sure wish i lived closer. :]

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

Thats a bargain! The Bonneville record for 750 Modified Gas is only 161mph. 2 grand and a little effort and you could be a record holder. Sure wish i lived closer. :]
seriously? that is it? What kind of bike was that set with? I didn't think it was that low. what is the story on that class?

·
Registered
692 Posts
160mph ? Riiiiiiiiiight . Thing still even has the airbox.

IF I Rollie Freed it I MIGHT get 130-135 tops.
And a night in jail for indecent exposure. :D

·
Registered
838 Posts

seriously? that is it? What kind of bike was that set with? I didn't think it was that low. what is the story on that class?
Geet,
Bonneville is a strange place to race. First is the 4200ft of elevation that takes away about 10% of your HP before you take it off the trailer. Now whatever HP you are left with needs to get to the ground. Except that the traction is usually crap. Sometimes tire shredding crap. Some years when the sun shines hot for a few weeks before Speedweek the salt is like concrete, but with wind blown salt marbles on top. Other years if it rains much or isn't hot enough prior to the race, the salt will be like the wet sand at the beach. All sticky and sloppy and stuck to everything it touches. Last year it was on the soft side when Tom Mellor ran his Triumph 750 triple to a new record. He said he was shitting himself while doing it. The tach said the rear wheel was doing almost 175-180, but the bike was only doing about 155. The salt humbles.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

I don't have the story behind it except to say that the M/G record was set in 1984 by Scott Guthrie on a Yamaha at 161.719mph. Model not mentioned in the record book. But does, by todays standards, look pretty soft. I'd like to know more about it too. I'm surprised no one has run on it. Seems like todays 750s should be able to hammer it pretty good. Scott Guthrie also holds the fuel record at 167.075. Presumably on the same bike. At Bonneville if you run the gas class you get you gas at the meet. There is a meet gas. Your tank is then sealed. If you break the gas record and it happens to be faster than the fuel record or you feel you an break the fuel record on gas you simply break the seal on the gas cap. By doing so your fuel can no longer be classified as gas. It is assumed you may have tampered with it. So you can run in the fuel class on gas legally.
It might be difficult to figure what machine Guthrie ran. He was well known for doing a "pick and mix" with his engines. There was a case where he ran a Yamaha four cylinder 2 stroke. All four cyinders were of different displacements! This was done in order to meet the class capacity requirements. He said the vibration was very noticible during the run!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'm thinking of sending the guy an email and inviting him to this forum. If he can get his cb up to 160 I'm sure we all would like to know his secret. I think it would be a real challenge to get a stocker up to 120 never mind 160.

Fresh meat on the table for Geeto and Hackasaw to chew on....

·
Registered
326 Posts
If I still had my 1988 FZR1000 I'd reply to the guy and say "I'll give you every penny your asking for your bike....IF it will out run my FZR1000 in a head to head race which it should easily do since my FZR will only top out at around 155 m.p.h. or so(and yes I did pin it a few times and it always pulled very hard from 6,500rpm up to and past an indicated 160-165mph)."

The 5 valve Genesis FZRs power plants LOVE the upper rpm range and make huge power up there,which in the end was their fall from liter bike grace. Bikes like the GSX-R 1000 & ZX-10R started making big midrange grunt AND still screamed on top! They could keep their cake and eat it too.

Still,in their time and they were(and still are for 99% of riders)more
bike than anyone could possible need,but man do they run strong!
http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/yamaha/1987-1996-yamaha-fzr1000-ar37611.html

I'm not a rocket scientist,but that CB better have about 250 more cc and a turbo,which that one doesn't seen to have.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Wanker

160mph ? Riiiiiiiiiight . Thing still even has the airbox.

IF I Rollie Freed it I MIGHT get 130-135 tops.
And a night in jail for indecent exposure. :D
maybe nobody told you but cb750s run best with the original airbox, if that thing had a chance of making it close to 160 on stock carbs, it would be with the original airbox.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts