Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took my 69 royal star to the shop for zener replacement (tympanium) and got it back with a 3 inch slice along the left side of the seat! it runs horizontally near the bottom. any suggestions? anyone? anyone?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I hope you pointed out it to the shop when you picked it up. If it were vynil there are some patches that can be done with melted vynil but with leather it looks like you are stuck for a recover. otherwise - black duct tape.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Mike,
You'll like the tympanium rectifier. I would Frankenstein stitch it so it doesn't get worse. As far as the nail polish, I've never heard that one before. If it works let me know.

Aaron

·
Registered
453 Posts
use sinew and a large bore needle, nail polish at the ends of the tear to keep it from going any farther

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If you can, take the cover off the seat and have a leather guy patch it from the inside. They can either glue it or sew with a fine stitch that will show up only is you know it is there.

Seems that if you were REAL good, you could crazy glue the slit back together.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
nail polish is like old school enamel paint, when it dries it hardens pretty tough so it will cover it up and keep it from tearing further but it won't cover it up (and personally duct tape works a little better).

If you are not afraid of possibly screwing up your seat you could try spray adhesive and a patch (or an iron on patch), but you have to remove the seat cover to do this.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have patched lots of things with Gaffers tape and repaired tripods and stands with the stuff. I can't work without it ( I'm a photog by trade).

Like Joe says no residue unless it sits a long time, then it is a powder. You can get it at good photo stores, permacell is the best brand. This stuff is expensive. I buy the cheap stuff and it is $29 a roll, but it is a big roll. I think they have 20 or 50' rolls available too.

If you don't want to buy a whole roll, I'll roll a couple feet on a pencil and mail it to you.

Still think the leather guy is the best option. Are you sure it is leather? I have never seen a leather seat on a bike other than ones pre '50.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually, i'm pretty sure it IS vinyl. there's a mesh backer behind it that for some reason wasn't cut, so that's good i guess. i think the easiest solution would be to pull the vinyl up exposing the back and to shmear some crazy glue on it and see what happens. thanks for the advice guys. the obstacle will be making sure my finger isn't permanently glued to my seat.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
actually, i'm pretty sure it IS vinyl. there's a mesh backer behind it that for some reason wasn't cut, so that's good i guess. i think the easiest solution would be to pull the vinyl up exposing the back and to shmear some crazy glue on it and see what happens. thanks for the advice guys. the obstacle will be making sure my finger isn't permanently glued to my seat.
if it is vynil then take it to an upolstry place and have them melt a little vynil patch in the cut and it will smooth out. You can often hide the patch even further by using a little vynil dye and evening out the finish.

I am hesitant to tell you to use crazy glue because it dries hard and is not pliable like a fabric patch would be.

·
Registered
687 Posts
no crazy glue. when you put it on fabric it does become brittle and as it flexes it cracks and shatters. find either some E6000 or goop most autoshops here sell an automotive goop. they are esentialy the same thing, clear and rubbery. i would make a patch from something and apply it to the inside of the seat with that stuff

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:
no crazy glue. when you put it on fabric it does become brittle and as it flexes it cracks and shatters. find either some E6000 or goop most autoshops here sell an automotive goop. they are esentialy the same thing, clear and rubbery. i would make a patch from something and apply it to the inside of the seat with that stuff

...connoisseur of slack...
shoe goo can fix anything duct tape can't.

NCNR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts