Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i did a little search and could not find info on this CB problem.... this morning was not that cold, there was not even frost on my woman's windshield, but the 650 did NOT want to start. it's got fresh plugs (march07) and rebuilt carbs (march07). it's always been difficult to start in the cold but this time it was really tough. the starter spins fine and sometimes you can feel it wants to start but doesn't. i had to hook the battery to a running car and spin the sh!t out of that starter to get the thing to start running....

any suggestions?

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
jb, that things a wet sump right? try lighter oil. i run 20/50 all summer...then have to switch when it gets cooler. those cases stay cold a long time and the starter will have to crank the motor enough to get the oil warm enough to really let it fire up. i used to have hella problems with the t120 with the gearbox oil in boston. the 550 is like that sometimes. so i usually bump start it off if its real cold. (i live on a hill)

jc

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good call, i'll try that..... though i am only running 10-30 in there right now..

but i'm surprised you didn't mention coils! cause according to a swarm fabricator you blame everything on coils, haha!

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
eh...imho coils usually go bad after the bike warms. probably has more to do with it just being cold. cold gas, cold oil, and cold batt. this is the place to ask though.

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
i had to hook the battery to a running car and spin the sh!t out of that starter to get the thing to start running....

any suggestions?

CB650, FauxCatiFT500
cu'mon you know better than that. Hope your voltage regulator survived the jump as any time you hook a bike batt to a RUNNING car it usually fries. Hard start sounds electrical. I would test the usual suspects - v-reg, coils, pulse controllers, etc...

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
when my 550 gets cold it does the same thing. although its a little soon for it. but it hasnt had a problem starting so far. when its cold out its way harder to start. im talking down in the 40's and even high 30's much below that i dont ride too far. but ive been known to do short trips in below freezing. up 83 and seein the pepsi sign saying 28 one night last year. you could always move it inside.

i dont know, ive always had problems with starting cold motorcycles. especially ones that sit in the cold for a while. i guess you could swap coils, or put in new ones, but im going to guess thats not the problem. you could always check to make sure the choke is working properly. i know the 550 needs alot of warming up. like real long.

i always just thought it was one of those things we had to live with. as bikers. hell, even my truck cranks slower after sitting a day or so in this weather. not dead, or even close, but im sure its the oil not helping.

·
Registered
201 Posts
all my bikes are that way. my dirt bikes need a little shot of starting fluid to get going.. prolly not good on them but hey it's better than hooking your bike up to a car. My '97 xj600 ran like a top. you couldn't have had a better tuned bike.. but in cold weather or even just sitting in my cool garage for a while she needed a little help getting going. I just thought all bikes were cold natured beasts.. unless you got a beemer with hand warmers...

carpe diem.... seize the carp

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep yep, i know better than that, i was being VERY careful, but turned out fine with the electrical. my "problem" is exactly what Joe was saying and what seems to be the same common problem. let me explain.. i had the bike outside all night at me lady's. it got down to the 30's last night and it was somewhere around 40 this morning at 7:30 when i was trying to start it. so it seems to be what Sam and Joe have described. i've had that crap happen before but i always ended up being able to start the bike after a bit of time but not today. hence my reason for posting today. i was just trying to see if it was something that i was supposed to live with or something that i could be able to sort out. i've also looked on the honda sock, sorry, sohc forums and yeah, everyone who's got some complaints about cold starts gets the same comments about chokes not opening, plugs, cold oil, cold gas, check coils etc, etc, etc, etc! i've got all the mechanical and electrical parts in proper order from a rebuild this summer so i know the bike is in good health. i guess that's why i was wondering if it was something else.. glad to hear it's not something bigger, but sucks that it has to be something i have to live with.

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

·
Registered
278 Posts
There's no reason I can think of why you couldn't put an engine block heater on it.... they make magnetic versions, they're cheap and they'll likely solve the problem.

A

·
Registered
201 Posts
is a little shot of starting fluid bad? I mean wouldn't that get her firing? I have always used for starting engines. I know they say you shouldn't use it a lot especially on 2 strokes.. I know all our diesels we always had to use a little?

carpe diem.... seize the carp

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
ive seen guys put blankets over their bikes with hairdryers under them. doesnt work. i think once the oil congeals, its pretty much an uphill battle. i used to push the bonneville up and down the parking lot like 6 or 8 times in the morning. when you kicked it over, it would hardly spin. r100's are notorious bad starters in the cold. (they are from germany right??) thats why i use the bump start. also, open the throttle all the way when your cranking it, then close it before you stop. that should get a cough from it and help it. at least it does with mine. if your having trouble now, wait til it gets real cold! a block heater is a good idea but real cold fuel doesnt want to atomize properly. just keep it inside if you can. works for me.

starting fluid isnt the best thing for your engine, but sometimes its all ya got. it lacks the lubricants your motor needs. wd40 works too.

jc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts