Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my cb 550, I got the clutch lever adjusted an everything but I believe I can only get into neutral. Case in point. I can move the shift lever up and down all day, either way, and not hear the "click" into gears, except a 'click' when it goes into neutral (or so I assume by the nuetral light) I do hear sounds coming the from the gear box but no click, just a slight moving noise. I've never felt this before so i don't think it's normal. Any ideas what might be going on? I plan on taking of the cover for it tonight, I just don't feel like making an oily mess (bike is in the house) so I'm hoping it's something stupidly easy.

Any info would be great, the internet is not helping any and I lost my damned manual and the new one should be here in...2 days. [xx(]

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but after riding my cb750 for the first time this summer when I got back to my garage I was having a similar problem. I was pissed and decided to deal with it the next day. I came back rolled my bike while trying to shift it and it started shifting again. I don't know what caused or solved my problem but just fiddling with the shifter fix it for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip, the chain is off right now but I was thinking it might just be froze up. Got too lazy to take off the cover so i'm going to just kick the side and go be mad for a day...

But seriously though, I rekon I'll put the chain back on and see what we can do.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Sounds like you are not moving the shift drum with the claw. Usually you wont notice it with the chain on, because as you move the bike a little bit there is enough friction in the trans to get the drum to finish rotating. You may have a weak or broken neutral detent arm spring. That arm helps the drum rotate completely to its next position either up or down. It is also possible that the shift star has come loose on the end of the shift drum so it isn't indexing properly. Regardless, the next step would be to put the chain on and roll it around and see if it cures itself. None of the other problems is a big deal. Just pull the clutch cover and take a look.

Ken

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot ken, new manual came in last night so now I'll know what I'm looking at when I take the cover off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts