Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which orgs use them, do they all use the same brand/model, does it pay to buy one if you're only going to do a few events ?

d.

I love the smell of castor oil in the morning, but I have a Honda....

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
wera uses them, vrra uses them, ahrma is going to them, lrrs uses them, uscra is probably next.

purchase the amb trans-x 260 model that way if you ever decide to retire, modern guys, etc.....will be able to use your model as it can record the higher speeds.

all orgs. listed are running the amb system.

more info at: www.mylaps.com

tex

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
D,
WERA has a deal where if you save your receipts they will consider your rental fees toward purchase. So you rent one a few times and if you decide you want one turn in your receipts and pay the remainder.

The other option besides the 260 is the 160(?) which can record speeds up to 100 mph which should be fine for vintage.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks kids...couple on ebay so I guess they come up ..I like the rent to buy idea

dch

I love the smell of castor oil in the morning, but I have a Honda....

·
Registered
838 Posts
The other option besides the 260 is the 160(?) which can record speeds up to 100 mph which should be fine for vintage.
The AMB 160 is designed for Karts and according to the AMB website shouldn't be mounted any more than 12 inches off the ground. Many motorcycle clubs specify the transponder be mounted at the top of the forks, usually between the triple clamps. I don't know this for fact, but it may be that the 160 sends a weaker signal, which if mounted too high, could cause erroneous or missed readings.

Cheers, Bret @ Glass from the Past

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The VRRA uses the AMB160 with no problems. The transmitter location on the track is key so speeds for all classes are under 100mph. Example: Works fine for a TZ750 at Mosport.
I am leaning towards the purchase of a 260 unit for compatability and resale purposes. It's the wave of the future, even for vintage bikes.

Jeff

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i spoke with the u.s. amb rep a few years ago and he said for slower bikes like alot of the vintage stuff, the 160 would work fine and is compatable with any of their systems.

chris and buff have both had their bikes to over 100 mph at daytona. i wonder if it just stop working, or not read top speeds.

jc

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I take the limitation to mean the transponder cannot read/ transmit at speeds over 100, so you just have to put the equip in an area where the speeds are lower. I think. and I think JAM just said the same thing.

I hope chris was going over 100, with 10 consecutive IOM wins he better be going fast.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
838 Posts
quote:
I take the limitation to mean the transponder cannot read/ transmit at speeds over 100, so you just have to put the equip in an area where the speeds are lower. I think. and I think JAM just said the same thing.
Am I mistaken, or doesn't the pickup need to be at the start/finish line? Here in Portland ours is about half way down the mile long front straight where most bikes, even many vintage, are exceeding 100MPH. My thinking is that if a person wanted to tour different tracks, say with AHRMA, I'd think they would want to be sure they could be scored under any and all circumstances.

Cheers, Bret @ Glass from the Past

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The VRRA guy said they mounted it to a 600 sport bike to make sure the 160 transponder would read at all the tracks.
I had back to back practices and only had 1 bracket for the 175 and the sidecar so I put the transponder in the pocket inside my suit. It read fine.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Bret
the VRRA has temporary timing loops taped to the track surface so they can ensure speeds will be readable. Some of the courses had the loop well before the start line so you'd discard your first lap for timing purposes, maybe the last one too. I don't know which model LRRS uses but I'll bet it's the higher end unit due to the speeds at the start/finish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts