Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have searched and cannot find anything on aftermarket triple trees for a 73 CB750. I want to use clip-ons but do not want the stock bar mounts. Any advice?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
grind them off. plenty of guys have ground them, polished them or painted them and they have come out decent looking.

Low Rider Tommy at hondachopper.com and cycle exchange at cyclexchange.net both have them but they are more for the chopper crowd. Too expensive for something you can just bolt a plate to to hide if you ask me.

also do a search at SOHC4.us for a goldwing cover plate that hides the cb750 bar mounts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i milled mine down til yu could see the casting fingers. looks pretty cool.

jc

·
Registered
261 Posts
I did sort of the same thing but instead of a mill, I used a sanding disk and my precision set of $2 Harbor Freight files. This is on a CB400F, so the casting may be different but you get the idea.

The tapped holes for the handlebar mounts go all the way through, so I used those as a starting point for those slots. I could probably whittle away some more material, but I'll leave it like this and make sure it doesn't crack on me first.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

here is a stock honda triple clamp that proteal55 shaved the mounts off of. IIRC he ground them down, sanded the top, and then painted her.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you have an early CB750, the offset and spacing is the same as CB450/CB500t. The CB450/CB500t handlebars are rubber isolated so there is only one hole left when you unbolt the risers. You can grind down the post a little if you want a cleaner look or leave as-is. I'll see if I can get pics of mine.

Proteal welded up the casting holes on his before grinding it down.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
doesnt everybike have the brake on the left? my throttlerolls forward too. i dont know whats up with that. at somepoint ill have to explain it to you. how i did it. but yeas, its retarded. i havent figured it out yet exactly.

jc

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
...and the tach needle rolls couter-clockwise. somehow you flipped the image. it used to happen all the time when i worked for the magazine, sometimes it was even intentional to get a better composition, so you can run with that.

-tt

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the weird thing is, i didnt flip the image, it just happened. whats really weird is i used a different camera to take the pic.

jc

·
Registered
453 Posts
i'm looking at buying a smithy lathe/mill. my first project is going to be doing a custom top tree

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
453 Posts
i will...........it's not happening right away but hopefully by the end of the year. i want to start making my own parts as well as market some custom cafe and chopper parts.

fat people are harder to kidnap

1 - 20 of 25 Posts