Cafe Racer Forum banner

Triumph 4 Speed tip

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Geeto67 
#1 ·
Juat picked up a nice tip on making 4 speed Triumph, and any other Brit transmissions, shift better. The reason you miss shifts with Brit 4 speeds, particularly the Triumph's, is that they have too many dogs on the lower gears. We got a transmission in that a guy had modified for racing, and what he had done was grind every other dog half-way down, so the remaining dogs would have an easier time engaging, but when the gear was slid all the way over, he would still have full engagment of all the dogs. He said it works slick. I have always opted for the Triumph 5 speed, whenever I could find one as the 4 speeds were tough to catch some of the gears, the 5 speed has fewer dogs, but now I'll try this and see if it straightens out my 4 speeds. BTW, I just bought a 64' TR6 SR and a 65' Bonneville, couldn't help myself. I may sell off one of them.

Dgy

Discussion starter · #5 ·
It's stock 100%. I liked it because it's original, complete with a few small scars and some nice patina. I don't like the restored queens at all. The SR stands for Sports Road, I believe, and the high piped TR6 was the SC for Sports Competition. Same motorcycle, different pipes.

This has the big tank with the parcel grid, gold on top with cream on the bottom front, last year for the garden gate emblem. The fenders are cream with a gold stripe up the middle. I got the Bonnie running last night, sounds good, but the TR6 is said to have an engine noise. This could be anything from a loose rotor on the alternator, to piston slap, to a bad bearing in the lower end. Worse case scenario if you know what you're doing with Triumphs, is $500 in parts and a couple of days work.

I'll take some pics' next Thursday night and email them to you. I am not positive about which bike to sell, they both are in nice original state and both are very attractive to me.

I don't know how to describe the way this TR6 makes me feel when I look at it. I guess it reminds me of when I was a 14 year old kid and in Ray Goodrich's Triumph showroom with my dad; and there on the floor was one these TR6', maybe it was even this very bike, but it was and is a perfect example of all the elegance that Triumph can be. They really don't make motorcycles like this anymore; so distinct, so balanced, symetrical, simple, classic, and the list goes on.

Same with cars too, just a bunch of potato's for the most part these days.

Send me your email to magnetoczar@yahoo.com as I can't post on this forum.

quote:
Dgy,
How close to stock is that 64? I was wondering if you'd take some pictures of it?

Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.