Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
750D T140
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this bike some time ago thinking of building something nice, The bike has been collecting dust in corner since then, But two days ago I saw that the Distinguished Gentleman ride is programmed at 23 of may so I designed to make this bike for that date!
Maby the COVID spoil the DGR but it doesn’t matter, I will make the bike as challeng!

·
Registered
750D T140
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last Tuesday afternoon I dismantled the bike and cleaned the chassis for a closer inspection, It wasn’t very bad so I decided not sand blast it

·
Registered
750D T140
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dident have much time today as I have been changing the diff at my old Austin A40 Countryman but at least i had time to spray some basecoat at the T140 chassis.

·
Registered
750D T140
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest I just to have it ready for the DGT who is celebrated the 23 may so just a small modificaciones will be done at the time.
I begun polishing the engine a bit yesterday morning.
80B935FF-598A-4873-9C56-7E25CC4AB686.jpeg
6CF7FD32-C72B-4125-A0E3-C344E08745E1.jpeg

·
Registered
750D T140
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally the engine is in place again, I still need to restore the wheels before get her up at her “legs again”
85FCF2D0-0E25-46EB-BEB3-058FE9CBC6C5.jpeg

·
Registered
750D T140
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A made some new hydraulic hoses, I have to confess they are a bit of overkill, they are the same one we use at offshore vessels and at oil-rigs good for 68bar pressure :eek:
But as this is what I have this is what I use...

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
104 Posts
it does look good. you're running an oil cooler and a filter. how do you have them plumbed into the oil system?

i'm asking because the rocker shafts are fed oil from a pressure return line to the tank. there is a restriction in the return orifice--3/32-inch, i think-- that diverts a small low-pressure flow to the rockers through the line leading to the rocker boxes. if you have any cooler or filter that empties downward, you can't prime the return system, and so when you first start the motor, the rockers are starved until the cooler, filter, and return lines are full. the rockers don't need much oil, but you can help them by mounting the filter open-end up, so you can fill it with engine oil before you screw it on.

the cooler and return lines you can prime before start up with an external oil can.

·
Registered
750D T140
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it does look good. you're running an oil cooler and a filter. how do you have them plumbed into the oil system?

i'm asking because the rocker shafts are fed oil from a pressure return line to the tank. there is a restriction in the return orifice--3/32-inch, i think-- that diverts a small low-pressure flow to the rockers through the line leading to the rocker boxes. if you have any cooler or filter that empties downward, you can't prime the return system, and so when you first start the motor, the rockers are starved until the cooler, filter, and return lines are full. the rockers don't need much oil, but you can help them by mounting the filter open-end up, so you can fill it with engine oil before you screw it on.

the cooler and return lines you can prime before start up with an external oil can.
I don’t have a clue, I never had an old British bike before, it’s just as it was when I bought it🥳

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
104 Posts
one thing you should verify is that the lines to the cooler and filter are in the return oil lines and not the feed oil lines. look underneath the brake lever on the right side. there are two rubber hoses mounted on stubs that come out of the crankcase. the metal stubs exit the crankcase one in front of the other.

the front one is the feed from the oil tank to the oil pump inlet. the rear one is the return from the pump to the oil tank and will have a small line plumbed off it leading to the rockers.

your cooler and filter should be in the return line. the feed line is not pressurized and oil must travel to the oil pump under gravity feed and pump vacuum

worth a look to see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts