Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
750D T140
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
one thing you should verify is that the lines to the cooler and filter are in the return oil lines and not the feed oil lines. look underneath the brake lever on the right side. there are two rubber hoses mounted on stubs that come out of the crankcase. the metal stubs exit the crankcase one in front of the other.

the front one is the feed from the oil tank to the oil pump inlet. the rear one is the return from the pump to the oil tank and will have a small line plumbed off it leading to the rockers.

your cooler and filter should be in the return line. the feed line is not pressurized and oil must travel to the oil pump under gravity feed and pump vacuum

worth a look to see.
Thank for advising, I believe I need it馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
750D T140
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The idea is to take of 10kg dead weight of the bike, This is a easy task looking at how heavy all parts are.
Just in easy things like the seat, Footrests, Lithium battery etc...

Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
my 1972 T20 weighs 380 pounds with fuel and oil. that is the same weight the factory specified for a dry weight, so i am ahead of that.

but lots more can be taken off. my 1965 T120 race bike weighs only 280.

Registered
750D T140
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
my 1972 T20 weighs 380 pounds with fuel and oil. that is the same weight the factory specified for a dry weight, so i am ahead of that.

but lots more can be taken off. my 1965 T120 race bike weighs only 280.
That鈥檚 a hell a lot of weight you tuck of!
In my case I鈥檓 not making no race bike, As I鈥檓 new with classic bikes I鈥檓 just very impressed how heavy all parts are, I鈥檓 Just changing small things making the bike look as I like it鈥檚 and by the way why not taking of some kg!
For my next project I will build a Guzzi 1000SP, That鈥檚 a bike who I will focus more on weight saving as it feels very heavy.
In the past I had a company who raced and made race cars (Porsche) with the the bodywork completely in composite, But that鈥檚 not what I鈥檓 searching for when I make this kind of bikes, I just want to have fun making cheep nice classics for my own enjoy using basic tools in my basement.

Registered
some parts are amazingly heavy. just changing to lighter wheels, brakes, and tires can save you a lot. plus, the metal airbox parts are pretty meaty on all the later ones, as well as the steel fenders and associated brackets

Registered
Hard to build a light weight motorcycle out of a motorcycle that was built with no care about how much it weighed when they built it. Lightweight motorcycles are expensive when you buy them because they are made out of expensive lightweight materials. Absolutely nothing on the motorcycle was made with expensive lightweight materials and your charging system was not designed for lithium battery if it did not come with one.
But heck, you already know that, you have a lightweight motorcycle frame and swingarm sitting on your work bench. lol

Registered
Hard to build a light weight motorcycle out of a motorcycle that was built with no care about how much it weighed when they built it. Lightweight motorcycles are expensive when you buy them because they are made out of expensive lightweight materials. Absolutely nothing on the motorcycle was made with expensive lightweight materials and your charging system was not designed for lithium battery if it did not come with one.
But heck, you already know that, you have a lightweight motorcycle frame and swingarm sitting on your work bench. lol
lol

they called them "lightweight" at the time, but it was always was a relative term. any modern stuff is light years ahead of them at their best.

but you can run a lithium battery in the old english stuff. i know they're fussy about charging, but i've run a small shorai in both a 70 commando and a 72 bonneville for several years and they haven't melted down yet. but i'm running solid state rectifier/voltage regulators in both of them. i think the original zener diodes would cheerfully cook the little shorais into puddles.

vikinggo, don't lay the fibrglas until you look over your options for air filters on the carbs. there isn't a lot of room in there

Registered
750D T140
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I did put the new seat base together with the OEM hinges this afternoon and I believe it will come together well! I just need to cut the hinges some mm lowering them a little

Registered
"run a small shorai in both a 70 commando and a 72 bonneville for several years and they haven't melted down yet. but i'm running solid state rectifier/voltage regulators in both of them."
Yep that would account for it.

Registered
750D T140
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Registered
i use these from podtronics in america

both rectifier and regulator in one unit. but i have the old mechanical stuff in some other machines.

Registered
750D T140
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I鈥檓 just taking a 1980km trip in ferry to the mainland to handle over my Raptor who I just sold, At same time I鈥檓 picking up my next project bike an 1980 Guzzi 1000Sp

21 - 36 of 36 Posts