Cafe Racer Forum banner

Triumph 900 Triple Project

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  TrialsRider 
#1 ·
Having had a lot of inspiration from the web, and liking my 95 daytona, but feeling it was a bit heavy, I wanted to try and create something a bit lighter and definitely better looking.

Between my Daytona, and an early 92 Trophy I had picked up cheap, I was unsure which bike to work on, as well, sooner or later the Trophy will be a classic.

I decided to buy a frame, with V5, so I could always turn back to standard on the two I had, but still struggled to decide which one to use, until I (think) I got lucky and bought this insurance write off for not a lot of money.

It's actually quite a late one, 98 or so, and generally quite a bit tidier than my Trophy.

I spent the last weekend gently stripping it down ready to drop the engine, and also worked out what bits are missing before I go too far.

Like I said, lots of inspiration on the web, and common to the best ones, I decided the standard sub frame is way too low, too long and too heavy.

Out came the saw to my spare frame.

Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Bicycle fork

Need to be tidied up, and I can start the mockup to start to think about what to do for a subframe and seat.

I also offered up a Thunderbird tank I had picked up.

It's a start anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome and look forward to seeing what you do, not sure I'd have cut it down so early.

Also the front end is going to be a challenge.. stanchions are really long (looks like a chopper), I had this issue on my XS750 and wish I'd chosen shorter forks.. . As it happens my XS750 runs Daytona carbs.. sound superb!

Have fun!

#5 ·
The Thunderbird has a bolt in frame, on the Trident/ Daytona/ Trophy etc it is welded. It's a frame I bought cheap with a V5.

For the forks, I've got a front end from a GSXR 750 SRAD to clean up and put on it. This may end up too short but we'll see how it goes.

I'm hoping when it's done to have it up for more spirited riding than it's current weight allows, so I'm wanting a fairly minimal subframe and seat, but it needs to be pretty strong.

At the moment I'm giving some thought to an arrangement like the BBCR CX500 seat, with a bracket on the main spine.

#8 ·
For the forks, I've got a front end from a GSXR 750 SRAD to clean up and put on it. This may end up too short but we'll see how it goes.
I'm hoping when it's done to have it up for more spirited riding than it's current weight allows, ...
Just curious; did you put both front ends on a weigh scale to see how they compare for weight?

#7 ·
A bit more gentle work today getting the GSXR forks in with new head bearings and see how it all kind of lines up.

Forks in, actually 2 inches shorter than standard, so maybe too low, too sharp, but we'll see. Can get maybe half of that back on the eccentrics for the rear spindle.

And this is how it looks with the Thunderbird tank and swinging arm offered up.

And view from the riders seat.

Need to figure out a way t seal the top bearing, file a touch off the lock stops, and ready to pop to see a bloke next week to figure out a subframe.

Attachments

#9 ·
if the top bearing sits above the steer tube a scenario that works well to seal it off is put a washer on it then the nut,washer close to same dia as steer tube,then if it shows a gap find an oring fatter in cross section than the gap and sized so you need to stretch it a bit to get it over steer tube
fit it over steer tube push it down outta the way,and once assembled roll it up and let it snap into groove

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.