Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting dangerously close to finishing these wheels. Working on getting them straight now. When do you call it good? It's within about .012 on both the up and down and side to side runout.

Also, I know to listen for a "ping" - but is there another way to know the tension other than buying a spoke torque wrench? I'm choked up on a 6" long 1/4" wrench - resting my elbow on my knee and just using my forearm to tighten. The spokes are thicker 8 ga instead of 10 ga and I'm scared I'm going to egg the alloy rim if I get too crazy.

One other thing - there is some spoke thread protruding from the top of the nipples. Do you just hit that with an angle grinder before mounting a tube?

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yes, grind them off. your spec sounds good. the closer the better. most everyone goes by the ping.

kick ass looking bike.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Don't waste your money on the torque wrench, it's only measureing how much drag is between the spoke and nipple, not how much the spoke deflects
You'll round off the nipples before you bend the rim into an egg shape so tighten them up.

And what Joe said

1 - 4 of 4 Posts