Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Gents,

So late last year I got a cheap TRX850 and so.... project time.

Here is how it starts... badly shitter..

Notice the Wheels.... Marchesini. I sold those for more than I paid for the bike !!!

and the Brakes... Brembos.... SOLD as well.. and forks and dash and so on.

Removal process begins

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curved R6 Radiator

Time to cut up the frame....

STAY TUNED to the next episode of FrankenREX where I graft on a subframe from a Ducati 1098 to TRX frame.

Goodies list so far -
Triumph 1050 2013 Single sided swingarm + Wheel
Hyperpro Shock
R6 Radiator
2008 Yamaha R1 Forks, wheels and radial 6pot calipers
Aftermarket billet alum Rearsets'
Keihin 41FCR carbs and filters
Programmable ignition
Carbon fibre seat cowl and under cowl
Billet tank cap
Silicon hoses
Stainless screw kit
Billet clip ons
Billet Mirrors
Billet indicators
Wave billet alum headlight

Need to get/make
Billet triples - make
Pipes - under seat or under motor ??
Speedo
rear tyre
Paint tank and frame
rewire

probably missed a poop load of things...

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I don't know why you sold the wheels, those were the same as ducati units of the era and are tits. I think the forks are the same marzocchi units too and the calipers are brembo (I don't think those were stock as I have heard the stock ones were junk). I can't imagine what you will put on wheel wise that's literally better for a budget. Personally I would have just painted them ducati wheel gold and run them as it is.

this is a pretty daring project. The TRX was built literally to punch the ducati 900SS Cafe racer in the mouth and despite it's slightly odd proportions, the 270 degree crank parallel twin configuration is odd for sure but a lot of modern parallel twins are using it including the new MT-07. I am not sure how hacking the frame on the back end is going to produce a better riding motorcycle but we will see.

If I have one complaint for this thread it is that you are really being skimp on details because you think you are being "funny". E.g. you show a picture of a shock and say "something rather shocking". STOP. It isn't as funny as you think it is in your head and cheats literally everyone reading this as to why you picked the part that you did. Write more, not less, and give real details. You can still be funny, but funny without details is just mildly annoying.

In my head I see this project coming out to something similar to this custom 900ss ducati:
ducati-900-ss.jpg
Which is awesome and honestly there need to be more bikes like this in the world

If you are building something like this:
ub-13-img_1948.jpg
please don't.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right I should add more details.
Firstly I'll address some of things you mentioned.
The bike was in bad condition, the forks were bent, discs were worn and needed replacement.
Back in 96 I had a new TRX and loved some things about it, specifically the engine but hated the front end. It was vague and spongy and brakes had wooden feel.
I am 6'1 and fairings unfortunately make my riding experience uncomfortable unless I am in a racer crouch, whereas I find non faired bike windy but evenly pushing the air across the body and taking some of the weight off my wrists.

Next is what did I want to achieve out of all this?
A modern styled cafe racer, something you can look and think it was made by mv or ducati. Parts that all work together and most of all be great fun to ride.

The trx had a good motor, but they were made on a budget, the suspension, paint were all done to bring a bike to market for $12k in Australia when all the other bikes in the same ranges were at least 15k and ducati 900ss were up about 17k.

Some things you can spend a lot of money renewing like forks and shocks and be left with shiny new pieces of junk which weren't going to fit a modern look or function.

So moving along, I found a 2008 R1 front end in virtually new condition for $700, the radiator is off an R6 and I wanted a curved radiator to replace the damaged one on the original bike.
The shock is made to emulate the rates of the works trx racers. Hyperpro seem to have a good reputation and they were made to spec.

Why a single sided swingarm then? Because i love the look. No other reason. They work like another swingarm but it now becomes unique.
Yes they are heavier but on the road it's not particularly noticeable and I'll dial in the shock to suit. It also gives me the ability to use modern tyres.
I found the swingarm in the USA for $245 and had it shipped. Then found a wheel in Italy.
I had a VFR swingarm already but it was too wide to fit whereas the triumph speed triple single sided swingarm 2013 model gave me room to offset the sprocket and position the wheel centrally.
Basically it was a perfect fit with a 6mm shim and 10mm offset countershaft sprocket..

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I think I am up to the last pic.
Why cut off the back of the frame?
Well the back of the frame has a big loop which looks completely out of place. The trellis frame is full of hard angles so the loop just doesn't go with the rest.
At this stage I bought a basically new 1098 ducati subframe for $60 so I just have to match them together.
I cut off the trx subframe and then used some of the tubing to weld back in place and complete the trellis.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
His flicker photostream has pics and vids of a trx already done up in a single sided swingarm and inverted front forks. And, you guessed it, ALL BLACK!

Looks nice. But what's up with this thread? Bike is built and u just wanted to take us back in time?

MOV_0339 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
His flicker photostream has pics and vids of a trx already done up in a single sided swingarm and inverted front forks. And, you guessed it, ALL BLACK!

Looks nice. But what's up with this thread? Bike is built and u just wanted to take us back in time?
Simply to show the build process.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Simply to show the build process.
I must admit, it's an extremely nice looking bike. MV tail? triumph swingarm, japanese front end, radiator. It's a veritable melting pot.

Get the suspension dialed in and you got yourself a potential winner. A bike that is more than the sum of it's various parts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ducati 1098 subframe and carbon fibre seat.
The suspension is firm but handling is spot on. Turns, holds a line, power is nice.
Even though my ducati has almost the exact same power, it has completely different motor characteristics due to many engine mods.
The trx has made a great donor bike, very good to ride and fixed the issues i had with the original. If it has 40 more hp then I would be in a real happy place

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cut some pieces out of the old rear subframe to back weld in.

Welding frame tubing on and bottom tabs for subframe mounting

Mock up with seat on to see if the lines are ok. I didnt think initially the tail pointed skywards enough but now the seat is on I think its ok.

Carbon fibre ducktail

rear Tank mount welded up

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Making the Triple clamps

this cutout is fully done, I have to start some of the other cuts. FWIW, these holes and the crescent cut have taken about 12hrs so far - its painstaking cutting through 40mm of 6061 grade aluminium (glad its not steel though !)

Waiting now for the slitting tool to turn up to cut out the clamping slots and then its finished.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With front end done, now its time to make linkages for the rear shock.

making the shock mount 60mm x 60mm x 100mm billet takes a while to machine down.

Because the swingarm is totally different to the original, there was loads of work to make it fit.
Firstly, the easiest bits were making the shins to slide the swingarm to the left. On the right side a 6mm shim pushes against the right side frame.
There is 3mm difference in the swingarm pivot axle and it was 10mm too long. To fix this and make it neat, I made shims fit from the outside and slide in so the axle held them in place.
Cut down the axle to the right length and cut more thread. Then drilled and threaded the centre of the axle and made caps to cover the axle.

Since there was now a different linkage set up - there were dogbones on the TRX and the shock sat lower, so to make the linkages work for the triumph swingarm - which uses triangle plates , the shock had to be offset 25mm left and about 25mm higher.
Originally the mounts are welded to the frame but isnt really an option for me, I don't have a tig welder so I can't really play around to get everything right. Instead, i made the mount at the top so it could be bolted through the back of the frame and into the mount with a lip at the top to make mounting it more accurate.
Down at the bottom, I was able to cut off the mount and reweld it back on and leave the other in place. Then machined up spacers so the new plates clamped in tight. On to making the plates.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shock mount and the linkage. Its the same geometry as the Triumph.

Looks about right now, bit taller

Have been doing a few little bits lately, machined up some new lower shock mounts, some covers for the swingarm pivot and rearset mounts. Also finished welding the frame so its off to the painters now. The shock mounts get the rear height down around 30mm over the previous ones and are nicely shaped and lighter.
The pivot covers are nice little pieces to cover the different axle that goes in and the M10 countersunk screw is flush fit.
The old shock mounts got re-machined into rearset mounts to offset them 12mm out from the frame so as to clear the swingarm and exhaust.
I'll get the bits all anodised while the frame is being painted. The headlight has arrived so I'll be making a mount for it off the bottom triple clamp soon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts