Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
A pic of your mill, please?

Are you doing all of this on a 1/2 sized mill and lathe?
Holy SHIT, you've got some mad skills. I'm just looking at that boring head in the aluminum and expecting the cutter to catch and snap off and impale someone.

All that skill and work and engineering and a wimpy 80hp parallel twin gets put in. Seems like almost a shame.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
A pic of your mill, please?

Are you doing all of this on a 1/2 sized mill and lathe?
Holy SHIT, you've got some mad skills. I'm just looking at that boring head in the aluminum and expecting the cutter to catch and snap off and impale someone.

All that skill and work and engineering and a wimpy 80hp parallel twin gets put in. Seems like almost a shame.
You can see the mill and lathe in a few shots, the mill is 300kg, x,y,z is 600,220,450mm. The lathe is 600mm between centres and 230mm swing over bed with a 200mm chuck.

The HP on the TRX isnt massive nor is the Guzzi or Duc for that matter, but theyre fun to ride and can still lose the licence on them. The sound is glorious though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The tank and frame were cleaned and painted and given back last week, all the gear came back from the anodizers on friday as well. Stripped the engine and sprayed the cases yesterday.
I can start final assembly.

starting to polish the frame

Rear assembly on the frame is done.

The shiny frame should be good for 10hp at least ! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Knumbnutz. Nice to see you here. I was trying to contact you also in Flickr...:p.

I am doing a TRX cafe racer, and i liked your work....In my case is going to be not so complicated, but i would make you some questions if possible.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hello Knumbnutz. Nice to see you here. I was trying to contact you also in Flickr...:p.

I am doing a TRX cafe racer, and i liked your work....In my case is going to be not so complicated, but i would make you some questions if possible.
Yes i replied to flickr as well..
No problem, ask away.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hi Oscar,
Turbocharged TRX - excellent!

What i did with the triple clamps is reuse the steering head stem by removing it from the old trx bottom triple clamp then basing my triple clamp around that.

The forks were 2007 yamaha R1 so when you are getting the dimensions, base it off the R1 for holding the forks and the steering stem dimensions for two holes in the clamps. You can get those from the old triple clamps too once the steering stem is pressed out of the TRX bottom clamp.
The aluminium used was 6061 40mm for the bottom and 25mm for the top triple. You could also use 7075 aluminium too.

Unfortunately it was 5yrs ago since I built the bike and sold it about 18months ago, although i still have contact with the new owner.

The exact dimensions that i had can be measured up again fairly easily if you have the triple clamp and new forks. If you have the dimensions and you are going to get then CNC machined, then I can check over them if you want or help with the CAD drawing. Back then i drew all the plans by hand and also machined by hand.... that was about 60hrs on the mill !

This was my fav photo taken of the bike

21 - 39 of 39 Posts