Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this thing with the title for $200. The guy said it starts but I'm having some sort of electrical thing. I'm no genius, but I don't think it's getting spark. Compression is good and have shot carb cleaner down it's lungs so... Anyone got tests I can run and how do you post pics anyhow?
/Users/peterlindsay/Pictures/iPhoto Library/2007/10/18/IMG_1343.JPG

Edited by - weepster on Oct 18 2007 4:57:51 PM

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trying changing the spark plugs. Then check to make sure you have the run switch on. Use the kick start instead of the battery.Might take some kicks to start it up. One more thing make sure th chokes is on and dont hit the throttle until you hear the bike starting.

I did what last night !!!!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Cb360 won't run without a fully charged battery. Do you know if the battery is any good? What does that mean "starter sounds like it's slipping"? How do you know it's not getting spark?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I charged the battery and had voltage but while trying to kick it could see lights dim. Maybe just a crap battery? The starter doesn't engage, it makes a spinning noise but the motor doesn't turn

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
E-mail me the pic & I'll post it for you. I have a cb360, too.

How long has this bike been sitting? When was the last time it was started? If it's been sitting a long time, you probably need a new battery. Dimming lights tell me the battery is toast. You shouldn't start the bike with the lights on anyway. Is this your first bike?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
while the battery is in the bike hook up the charger to it and see if it will give you spark then. When I first got my cb360T it wouldn't run--with charger hooked up it was fine, take of the charger, it would not run.

·
Registered
687 Posts
if you don't have one go spend 5 bucks and buy yourself a vom meter and verify your battery has charge. you are likely to find that the minor electrical is just the first of many minor nuisances keeping your bike from running well. hope xander has the patience to repeat the entire trouble shooting process for the umphteenth time, oh and visit the the faq section and learn how to post picts and find a link to download the shop manual.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
178 Posts
id buy it for $200. just talk nice to it, when my bike dosent want to start i just whisper sweet nothings in its ear.

im going w/ the new battery thing, ive seen batteries that will charge and the lights will work, etc but wont start. go with the new battery first and if its not the problem your only out $30-40 and its something youll need soon enough anyway.

My CB750 Project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4739

Edited by - kawiracer on Oct 19 2007 03:32:40 AM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
why havent you checked the points,first thing to check for spark at points first.
Points are clean and sharp and sparking up a storm it will fire up your spray starter fluid at least..Drain and refill carb bowls with dirt out and fresh juice will keep it running a little longer then just spray starter fluid.
Not checking points is why you bought it for so little money the last guy never thought to check them played with the carbs instead and wallah...dee dee dee you have a bike.
Always start thru the basics fuel, spark,compression Bammm!
Then fiddle with fine tuning (rebuild carbs,clean out fuel tank,look over entire ignition system,fresh battery,look over charging system.on and on till you have a dependable classic.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Pete,
Have you tried any suggestions yet from your other post on the technical thread?
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts