Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the bike to sort of run on one cylinder. The cylinder that won't fire's carb diaphragm has two two millimeter tears. I can also get it to spark sometimes, but it seems to be a weak spark.

I am ordering a point plate and new points. I'd like to put on new spark plug wires. and obviously get a better diaphragm.

Is there anything else I should consider? And once I get it all put back together, once I turn the petcock on should it work or do I need to prime something?

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 56cbr600rr

Well, I got the bike to sort of run on one cylinder. The cylinder that won't fire's carb diaphragm has two two millimeter tears. I can also get it to spark sometimes, but it seems to be a weak spark.

I am ordering a point plate and new points. I'd like to put on new spark plug wires. and obviously get a better diaphragm.

Is there anything else I should consider? And once I get it all put back together, once I turn the petcock on should it work or do I need to prime something?

Thanks again guys!

A torn diaphragm shouldn't prevent that cylinder from firing (but it will cause it to fall flat on its face under load).

Check the valves at the same time you install the new points. Adjust the valves when the engine is good and cold.

Check your coils, I'm damn near positive those plug wires are integral and thus cannot be changed without replacing the entire coils/wires assembly. Did you try unscrewing the plug caps and snipping the wires back a little? If not, try it before you go ebayin'.

By the way, that diaphragm issue's going to be a bit of a pain in the ass. Good ones are getting rare and pricey. Search "350 diaphragms" on here and see what solutions some of the other folks on this site have come up with. There's a company called "Sirius" (or something like that) that sells aftermarket diaphragms but I haven't personally heard of anyone succeessfully installing a set...

As far as priming the system goes, install new fuel lines and in-line filters and use the petcock to fill each fuel line separately. Its best to fill the line by holding it 1/2" or so beneath its petcock nipple and allowing the fuel to "pour" into the line until it just begins to overflow -- this will eliminate troublesome air bubbles in the lines.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good krapfever. Thanks for the help. Actually, looking at the diaphragm closer, it appears the whole thing is separated from the "donut" that holds it on. So i'm sure it's just about useless. I'm seriously comtemplating ordering a set of 30mm mikunis and selling my carbs. Then I wouldn't have to deal with the oem filters, etc... plus parts will be abundant. Already adjusted the valves. Also, just ordered the points and point plate and a new condenser.

and yes, they are integral so I'll try and snip the plug wire/caps back.

thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts