Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1979 XS750
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the weather turned decent here and I got my prep done for some paint. I laid down the primer and went to sand it for the base color and ran into a problem. Or I should say that my dog ran into the table the my fender was on, in turn, knocking it onto the concrete floor. Thought it just scuffed it but it actually dented:sick: So got the dent out and skimmed some body filler on it and have to reprime it still. The weather turned humid and rainy and seein how my “booth” is open aired, that doesn’t work haha
So far so good(y)

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
8 Posts
Dog does not even LOOK guilty.....

Reactions: OldMan

·
Registered
1979 XS750
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got everything primed and sanded so ready for base coat. Supposed to rain for the next work week so humidity will be to high. I’ll try and get it done this weekend and try my hand at taping stripes or something, haven’t even decided yet haha. It’ll come to me when it’s time:unsure:

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
8 Posts
Good that you know to not paint in the humidity, lots of people never make that connection!
Make sure you heat the parts in the sun or with a heat gun to get the moisture out of the primer before top coat as it can be trapped underneath otherwise, and when the sun hits the finish job that moisture will expand and cause bubbles...

Giving away one of my past professions there!

If you are doing stripes, hunt for a good quality narrow "fine line" tape... make life easier as the narrowness allows curves without kinks and the quality will mean you getting better edges and less paint going under the tape....

Can be a good idea to remove the tape off before the strip paint fully hardens....
Hope that might help.

Regards
Gavin

["QUOTE="OldMan, post: 648652, member: 30565"]
Got everything primed and sanded so ready for base coat. Supposed to rain for the next work week so humidity will be to high. I’ll try and get it done this weekend and try my hand at taping stripes or something, haven’t even decided yet haha. It’ll come to me when it’s time:unsure:
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
Italian ones mostly.
8 Posts
OH.....and give the dog a treat for me... he didn't mean to knock it off! :)

·
Registered
1979 XS750
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve seen guys NOT wet sand primer for that reason. Thanks for the tips. I got enough good fine line tape so I can experiment with exactly what I want to do (y) that dog ain’t getting any treats by the way haha

·
Registered
1979 XS750
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Base coat is almost done, wet sand out the bugs and dust and shoot another coat and I’ll be laying down my “accents” (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts