Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
sorry guys I gotta get in on this. I've already been hazed over clubmans... oldts- if you like 'em put 'em on your bike. if you want drag bars put those on, if you like clip-ons and can afford them then there you go. but stand back from your bike and see what will look the best for YOUR bike! ok well thats my thoughts~

carpe diem.... seize the carp

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I am gonna go with Suzukisam on this one. You are jut going o hav to see what is going to be right on your bike after you get the pegs and seat where you want them. I have clip-ons on the Seca 550, superbike bars on the cb350 racebike, drag bars on another 350 and stoch 350 bars on the street 350. They all have their place, except clubmans. Anything they can do I can do better with clip-ons. But they can be cheap and easy to see if the riding position has potential.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
278 Posts
I saw this old BMW once outside the B-Side, this brewpub in Austin where all the chillers used to go for cheap pint night. I've yet to see another like it - it was small, probably <300cc, looked to be 60's, had this miniscule frame that was very low and kind of long for its size. The thing was hot.

Anyway, the bars on this thing were amazing - they were basically clubmans, but they perfectly followed the curves of the triple tree. There had to be four totally unnecessary bends.

That's the only occasion I can think of when I thought clubmans were doing something that clip-ons couldn't do better.

BTW, if anyone thinks they know what that bike was, post it! Thx.

A

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Xander,
was it a single or a twin? I think BMW made a 250 single, but the smallest twin they ever made was a 500.

I still would like to make a cafe street bike out of a TS400 with a downpipe on it. I just think it would be cool.

Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
147 Posts
quote:
christ, if you can spend $25 on clubmans you can spend $45 on clipons.

...connoisseur of slack...
Can someone please tell me where I can get clipons for $45? The cheapest I've found so far were either $60 or $65.

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
yo lefty......

under member products......

contact the champ! here is his add i cut and pasted.....

NEW TOMMASELLI 9 degree drop and DUNSTALL 10 degree drop
REPLICA CLIP ONS

7/8" DIAMETER 11" OVERALL LENGTH

TWO CINCH BOLTS (8MMx1.25P-CHROME)

BEAUTIFUL CHROME FINISH

EXCELLENT BARS

QUALITY TIG WELDS

$45.00 plus shipping

Champ

good luck!

tex

p.s.- champ, you owe me a commission!

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
147 Posts
I see now. I emailed Champ a while ago and he sent me a price including shipping. My Bad. I hope to order some next summer when I get some other things sorted out on my bike.

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ken - When I was young and dumb (i.e. into Vespas) I bought a TS400 that someone had built into a road racer for some obscure Colorado single cylinder class.

Anyway it was really cool - I wish I had pics. The front end was Suzi GT550 with alloy rim, clip ons, etc, custom rearsets, and some kind of TZ-replica seat. It had the stock tank, though.

I got it running but one of the rearsets was broken and the frame was cracked behind the motor so I never got to ride it. Eventually I sold it for double what I paid ($400) and promptly wasted the $ on Vespa parts. I sure wish I knew the guy I sold it to...

To the OP: Go for it. I've been thinking of doing the same to a Kawasaki Bighorn or whatever the 250 was called. I have a soft spot for strokers, and a big 'ol single stroker would be very, very cool.

Clubmans are still gay, though.

quote:

I still would like to make a cafe street bike out of a TS400 with a downpipe on it. I just think it would be cool.

Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
RobertoB,
I am sure I have seen a picture of such a beast in an old magazine. Maybe the same one. I know they used to run some interesting singles in CO back in the day. It is not a front burner project for me but I am going to keep my eyes open for a project. If it falls into my lap I will save it for later.
I think the Bighorn was the 350. I don't remember what they called the 250 version. I liked the idea of the rotary valve on those old Kawis and would love to have a big old Mikuni hanging off the side of the engine. I might also like to turn the cylinder around so the pipe would have a straight shot right out the back of the bike. I have seen several photos of old roadracers that were set up that way.

A cool project that will have to wait for a while.

Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
353 Posts
quote:
RobertoB,
I am sure I have seen a picture of such a beast in an old magazine. Maybe the same one. I know they used to run some interesting singles in CO back in the day. It is not a front burner project for me but I am going to keep my eyes open for a project. If it falls into my lap I will save it for later.
I think the Bighorn was the 350. I don't remember what they called the 250 version. I liked the idea of the rotary valve on those old Kawis and would love to have a big old Mikuni hanging off the side of the engine. I might also like to turn the cylinder around so the pipe would have a straight shot right out the back of the bike. I have seen several photos of old roadracers that were set up that way.

A cool project that will have to wait for a while.

Ken

AHRMA 412
It may have been - the guy that built it raced through the 80s until he fell off (not that bike) and was crippled. I think he was pretty sucessful. Yeah, the F11 is the 350 Bighorn with the carb on the side, right?

Those old enduros make good street bikes because the fork/headset relationship is pretty conservative compared to modern dirt/enduros. Smaller front wheel and cosmetics and you're good to go.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts