Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading and studying what turbo charges and NOS are, and what they do inside the engine.

Thats when I had an idea!

Could it be possible to rig up a small compressed air bottle to the carb intake and release a controlled amount of compressed air (say 2-3 bar) directly into them? i.e. simulating the pressured air effect that a turbo gives.
It is similar to NOS as in it is trying to up the O2 input into the carbs.

Would this not result in some kind of cheap hybrid between turbo and NOS?

There would have to be some rig that converts between sealed pressure air and normal aspiration into the carbs. I can see some valve chamber that would open when the chamber is going into normal vacuum. (******* turbo/NOS is off)

It could look like this schematic.

Text Line art Font Parallel Illustration

Would love to hear any feedback on this idea.
Has it ever been tried?

I imagined that if such a rig actually worked, one could even up the O2 content in the bottle for more oooomf.

·
Registered
10,649 Posts
I like that "********" are one of the last groups that it is okay to openly mock.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Wouldn't your "system" cause a lean mix. Kind of like cutting holes in your airbox?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Wouldn't your "system" cause a lean mix. Kind of like cutting holes in your airbox?
Not if you jetted appropriately, but that would create a rich condition when the air was depleted, or the "system" was turned off. Unless you plumbed it into a sealed air box.........but then it wouldn't have any air when the system was depleted, and you couldn't run cool looking pods!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well when you opened up the ******* air injector valve thing you would also have to add fuel, like what was stated above.
Otherwise if you tune for that amount of air the engine will run like poop too rich until you open the valve.

Would you do this because nitrous is too expensive? All nitrous does is add more oxygen into the mixture.
You could rig it up like a "wet" nitrous kit and add a fuel nozzle in with the air nozzle to correct the mixture when it is opened.

Also you have to worry about the volume of the air going into the engine more than the pressure in the air line.
What you need to worry about is the pressure increase in the intake manifold compared to what it normally is.
Honestly I have my doubts that the air in the bottle, even if it is pure o2, would give you enough of a gain to negate the weight and complexity you add.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
If the float bowls were vented into that air chamber, the amount of fuel going through the jets would increase along with the increase in air pressure and decrease again once the flap opens. If you calculated the volume of air that you would require, the size/weight of the tank might be silly. Lots of work for something that will never produce anything but a pain in the ass. You would be farther ahead spending the time working at McD's and using the the money for NOS.

PS the gate valve would restrict air under normal running and I don't think you would want it spring loaded.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
You need a fuel pump as well as having the bowls pressurized or else fuel flow will just stop.

Or get an FI bike and your fueling problems are (mostly) sorted.

Or just use NOS and let out your inner *******.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Instead of running pressurized air at 3 bar etc, just run pure o2 at atmospheric pressure.
Pure oxygen at 1 bar is nearly 4x the o2 vs. what "air" is - at only 21% o2 with the rest being mostly inert nitrogen )

Then you can put your efforts into developing a hydrogen fuel delivery system to go with your pure O2 !

I'll make a video ;)

ps- No more ethanol hassles !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts