Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what seems to be the big twin shoe brake set up is it the suzuki I keep hearing is the ticket.If I keep War Horse ,id like those smoking big twin leading shoe brakes I like the Edward Sciccor Hands look of drum brakes.Any other big drum front brakes and I know about the guy in england that sells the guy from Italys huge brake setups they are way to costly. what make/ model bikes should I be looking for that came with twins.

alot of you guys have aluminum rims who is the best supplier of these.

PS all I want for xmas is a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 tube amp and another Fender American Strat/Rosewood neck this time in sunburst or white thank you Cafe-Santa.

Edited by - LILBull on Dec 06 2005 07:31:58 AM

Edited by - LILBull on Dec 06 2005 07:33:38 AM

Edited by - LILBull on Dec 06 2005 07:35:13 AM

Edited by - LILBull on Dec 06 2005 07:39:25 AM

Edited by - LILBull on Dec 06 2005 07:47:22 AM

Edited by - LILBull on Dec 06 2005 07:49:31 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
early gt750 and gt550 suzuki two strokes came ith 4LS brakes. gt750 brakes are very costly as are the gt550 brakes off the bike (about $400-600). However I have seen whole project bikes with the brake setup intact sell for half that on ebay (my favorite was a gt550 that sold for $150). Look for the gt550 project bikes and score the whole bike, then grab the brake and part out the rest.

BTW they are a bitch to setup and synchronize.

edit: and you will need the lever to go with it since they are twin cable pull.

Edited by - Geeto67 on Dec 06 2005 08:57:49 AM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the dls brakes you should look for are the cb/l 450 cb/l 77 and t500. there were other dls, on some eurobikes, benelli etc, but the jap stuff is probably the easist to find. you can get a grimeca repro from cosmo for about 5 bills. (right tex?) i think about 5 bills if they have any left. and its new. for a street bike, why not just go to a disk with ferodo platinum pads?

you can get the waterbuffalo for under 400 with the perch and lever. no problem. ive been watching them for years. but you'll have to lace, and do all kinds of work to get it nice. so once youre done, youre looking at over 600 without tires. but its worth it if you need the brake.

jc

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just the look i need, I just motor around and zip once in a while ,I just like that look .Put now I have some target bikes to find them on thanks guys .

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you have a show and tell johnnyb what are you looking to get for it [email protected]

Thanks George

Edited by - LILBull on Dec 06 2005 11:08:38 AM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
George,
Pics are up at:
http://www.jrbranson.com/showandtell.htm
450 Drum is on the LEFT in the photos

Only "but" is that the lining has got some pits that worry me. I've been meaning to get it turned before selling it. I suspect that some of the pits are deep enough to still be there after turning....I'm talking maybe 1% of the brake surface.

$80 plus shipping as is.
$100 after turning (assuming I deem it suitable for use)
$125 with drilled spoke flange
$150 with full race vent and weight reduction (might not be ideal in wet conditions on the street).

I don't think I have any new shoes for this brake...Still have the old ones in case of a last resort.
JohnnyB

PS. At the bottom of the page are examples of a hub with drilled spoke flange and "race" venting/lightening

Edited by - jbranson on Dec 06 2005 5:35:20 PM

Edited by - jbranson on Dec 06 2005 5:36:02 PM

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
bull,

talk to champ about the alloy rims.

tex "straight pimpin' for champ 24/7" mawby

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
aaron,

your on my list.....

sorry, exams and papers first, post on caferacer second, send pixs to champ third, mail throttle to matt fourth

i guess you are fifth.

no exactly podium, but top ten!

tex

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
ap, what are you doing with a td brake??? i think im turned on. yamaha brakes rock!

jc

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I do it I want that big brake look those 450 brakes are about the size of a cl350/360.Thanks JohnnyB .I will look for the bigger ones as it just about looks Im after. Rosko is a 450 nut he may buy them just to hang on the wall.I do like the holes .But I will keep them in mind and thanks again JohnnyB
George

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
George,
The CB/CL350/360 brakes are 180mm (7"). The 450 brake is a 200mm (8") brake. Your next step is 220mm...meaning GT750/550 or aftermarket..think big dollars. T500 is also 200mm same as the 450...a bit wider though...but prone to cracking.
It's hard to do much better than the 450 for less than $400. I run a T500 on my race bike...but it's more flexible than I'd like :) and I've got about $400 in it.
You can find a good run down on the drums here:
http://vintagebrake.com/drumspec.htm
JohnnyB

PS. The only reason the 450 is not going on my race bike is that it's a 40 hole hub...I already have a couple hundred tied up in a 36 hole rim and spokes.

Edited by - jbranson on Dec 07 2005 08:20:05 AM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey Geeto do you have any links detailing fitting these to a cb 450 or really any other bike for me to "eye-ball"
Thanks George
Im bidding on a water buffalo four leadingshoe brake which is really a misnomer as they are two separate twin leading shoe brakes stuffed in one drum .

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well if i lose the waterbuffalo lemans gt750 bid "Ill Be Back"
Thanks for that link .And thanks for the spec ,they just look the same from here .Thanks JohnnyB
Is Champ a dealer in aluminum rims or is he just "connected"

Edited by - LiLBull on Dec 07 2005 08:51:23 AM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I hope it's not the same one that's been on my watch list for a couple of days :)
I need one to experiment with...wanted to see how light I could get one.
JohnnyB

Speaking of brakes...I walk past this one a couple dozen times a day in my living room.

Edited by - jbranson on Dec 07 2005 08:48:27 AM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
most likely is, Im mean how many are out there.
hey nice "flying Saucers" not vintage, but very tasty just the same!

Edited by - LiLBull on Dec 07 2005 08:50:42 AM

1 - 20 of 47 Posts