Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The second addition to the 15 year old bible to racing is better then the original.Not really its different because it covers mostly the OH SHIT !! Factor. He calls it SR (survival reaction)

He covers reasons why you DONT LISTEN TO YOUR GUT on a bike!
He covers why you dont, micro steer after you have taken a line in a turn.Why your survival reaction (SR) are the exact opposite on a bike .why your SR is to slow down in a turn when you feel you have got to much speed,why staying on the throttle and turning in deeper is the way out .
I think you all need to get this book ,because it covers that part of riding your brain is looking for answers when you think your in trouble! The part of riding only you alone know the terror in your heart when you think the bike is doing things wrong (because you really dont know the bike,the frame the suspension that intimately at limits.
I think it will be a secret weapon for guys that use the race track and a crash preventive book for street riders and im talking cafe riders over say a chopper or touring bike rider.
I think it would, for the 20 dollars it retails for, smooth out your nervousness in turns and in the middle of a turn (The oh shit factor)
Lets face it I dont think there is a guy here that lacks any degree of confidents flying down a straight.The turns separate the experienced from the pack real quick and there my freinds I think this book details every aspect from looking for the point of entry,to when you should brake (and not to early) it details why your reaction to turn early or let off the gas or even trying to correct steering while committed in a turn is THE WRONG reaction.
A bike responds opposite of what you natural SURVIVAL INSTINCTS shout at your brain to do and thats how people crash or are in the back of the pack instead of in the middle or out in front.
I think this book is more of a life saver then anything else because it teaches you ON A BIKE your gut reaction is WRONG.

Save youself get this book NOW !

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

Edited by - LiLBull on Apr 23 2007 07:40:11 AM

·
Registered
93 Posts
I purchased the original when I was playing at club racing, back in the mid-80's and found most of it very helpful. I HAVEN'T READ "II", but I'm sure it's at least as good. Keith Code's tutored some of the best, he knows his chit.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats exactly right alot of things have changed since he wrote the first one .Especially for cafe styled,vintage bikes for instance alot of guys slip on a new set of modern tires which are better then the racing tires of the day ,which pushes the shocks, chassis and steering into levels it wasnt designed for .Riding styles need to be looked at with all changes that are made.Then you have modern frames for the new bike riders which are totally different from the frames just ten years ago.Most guys here ride a 70s bike,ussually they also have a modern machine too.Things have change this book sheds a laser beam on things like STEERING,WEIGHT SHIFTING ,BRAKING but he hones in on what is actually happening and uses tons of examples from his student drivers mistakes. A great read itll keep you safer on the street and make you faster out on the track.(newbie cafers should read both books but this new one would save your ass )

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
somewhere I have the videos he put out in the 80's also. A must watch. It is nice to actually see it and not just visualize it in your head.

I think when that first book was written, the road race rubber of choice was a set of dunlop triangulars.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geeto you should have a cafe racer net flicks for the board to rent your books movies and some of your endless resources damn you need to open a museum or something.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone get this book yet ...? or have it ?there has to be at least 200 people cruise in and out of here be curious to see how many educate them selves on riding .I know alot of you racers (have the first edition on you book shelf, but the street guys that argue over clip ons and clubmans are you reading this stuff that could save your life......interesting...very interesting..

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heeeel.....lllloooooooooo!!
Seems to be a big echo in here on this subject...lol no one reads on how to ride a race bike ....uhmmmm...interesting and scary

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the best way to learn is by doing. I remember reading TOTW the first time when I was 14 and not understanding any of it, then going back to it later after having spent a year racing MX (15) and a year with my street bike at the drags (22), plus 7 year of street riding in between and it all then made perfect sense.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im just hoping these guys get educated or take dancing lessons like this guy did:

Edited by - LiLBull on Apr 27 2007 10:29:23 AM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well you need to learn to dance like branson ...Im not sure but this guy looks like Branson...well he is as tall anyway..This guy can ride and dance.

You will become a ROCKABILLIE RACER

Edited by - LiLBull on Apr 28 2007 11:31:23 AM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts