Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,188 Posts
Interesting looking frame. Yeah, the motor mounts give it away as a non-RD frame. Nice complete roller, though.

CR500 motors are getting a little hard to find. Plus they vibrate ALOT.

Hmmm with the extra room, you could drop in a CB350 motor. Would be nice to have a CB350 motor in a chassis that didn't suck.

· Registered
5,188 Posts
quote:
Personally I am a big fan of the old kx250 motor. 10:1 compression, water cooled, 45.5 peak hp, dead nuts reliable, and a nice powerband. A year old one with new parts should cost you $500, less for a couple of years old. The motor is tiny so fitment isn't going to be a problem.
Ya know, a while back a guy was selling a KX250 powered RZ350 racebike. Neat idea, ran it in the WERA singles class. Hmmm... I have a roller RZ350... What years did they make the KX250? Wonder if it'd be legal for the USCRA singles and F2 classes. Think the cuttoff on F2 is 1984 or 85.

Yeah, like I need another project.

quote:
If you want to get really crazy, start hanging around the snowmobile guys and see if one of them has a chain drive motor laying about. I think artic cat has an 800cc parallel twin two stroke that should whip on anything if you can put it in a bike frame.
with a auto clutch? That would be... interesting.

· Registered
5,188 Posts
quote:
I am reposting this reply as I think there was a problem with my first reply.

Anyways, I've got an 86' CR500 engine that I will sell for $800, or consider any interesting trades. The engine is currently in an ice racer and comes with a lug that can be put in the end of the crank so an electric starter can be used. It also has a brandy new Wiseco
Dang, Doug.... what else do you have hiding up there?

The only problems I've heard with roadracing a large dirtbike single is vibration and gearing. Have to either put a tiny front sprocket on or a huge rear. And I've heard of CR500 motors cracking TZ250 frames from the vibration. But they're aluminum frames. A steel frame would hold up better.

That would be cool... CR500... lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.