Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
My guess is that information changes from year to year and is probably absolutely unavailable. What in the heck would a person need to know that for? Don't say welding, the stuff welds crappy enough that what filler rod you use isn't going to make a dang bit of difference as long as it's not some crazy rod alloy. Pick a general alloy suitable for welding cast aluminum, should work as well as any other.
I'd typically use some soft filler rod, the admixture will make things less prone to cracking.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
My guess is that information changes from year to year and is probably absolutely unavailable. What in the heck would a person need to know that for? Don't say welding, the stuff welds crappy enough that what filler rod you use isn't going to make a dang bit of difference as long as it's not some crazy rod alloy. Pick a general alloy suitable for welding cast aluminum, should work as well as any other.
I'd typically use some soft filler rod, the admixture will make things less prone to cracking.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Exactly....whatever it started out as, the pores are so full of oil and contamination after a few years that it's an unknown alloy be then.
Typically you just bust out the TIG and see what happens...if it's really bad you gob a bunch of filler rod in there to dilute the garbage :)
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Exactly....whatever it started out as, the pores are so full of oil and contamination after a few years that it's an unknown alloy be then.
Typically you just bust out the TIG and see what happens...if it's really bad you gob a bunch of filler rod in there to dilute the garbage :)
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
did anyone read about beale building the 250/6? and about the mystery metals old man honda made??

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
did anyone read about beale building the 250/6? and about the mystery metals old man honda made??

jc

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joe,
That is a kick ass article! The F1 factory had to reverse engineer several steps and end up finding technologies, techniques and alloys they did not know existed! Sochiro and the 60's honda GP tech's must have had a ton of know-how that never got passed on.

Johnny,
Thanks for the input, I knew you had done some with your oil cooler....
fine. I won't say it. Nothing structural just filling. 4043? I'm freaking anal about using the appropriate filler material (hence my awesome welds). I was under the impression that the Alu. used was actually of a high quality. There isn't anything weird and unweldable mixed in there? I would like to think the oil and shite will not be much of a problem, I plan on a once over with the soda blaster to remove and neutralize most of it then an acetone soak for whats left. combined with high freq and pulse to cover all the bases.
I'll give it a shot and report back.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

Edited by - ROSKO on Dec 19 2007 02:51:20 AM

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joe,
That is a kick ass article! The F1 factory had to reverse engineer several steps and end up finding technologies, techniques and alloys they did not know existed! Sochiro and the 60's honda GP tech's must have had a ton of know-how that never got passed on.

Johnny,
Thanks for the input, I knew you had done some with your oil cooler....
fine. I won't say it. Nothing structural just filling. 4043? I'm freaking anal about using the appropriate filler material (hence my awesome welds). I was under the impression that the Alu. used was actually of a high quality. There isn't anything weird and unweldable mixed in there? I would like to think the oil and shite will not be much of a problem, I plan on a once over with the soda blaster to remove and neutralize most of it then an acetone soak for whats left. combined with high freq and pulse to cover all the bases.
I'll give it a shot and report back.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

Edited by - ROSKO on Dec 19 2007 02:51:20 AM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Rosko....actually as cases go, Honda cases weld pretty good. 4043 is what I'd try, it covers a lot of bases, including a several cast alloys.
It's been my experience with cases and covers that warpage is usually more of an issue than the quality of the weld.
Do your pre-heat.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
453 Posts
as i understand it, the case material is fairly high in zinc, thats what i got from another forum.

fat people are harder to kidnap

1 - 15 of 15 Posts