Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up to all the great Cafe Racers on this site!!!

I need a little advice. I recently coated my fiberglass tank
with a sealant to protect it from pump gasoline.

Part of the process was to clean out the inside with paint
thinner/acetone. I acidentally spilled a little on the exterior.

So I now have some dulled paint. Its not too deep into the clear
coat and I am sure I can get the original gloss back.

What do you think I should do to get it shining again?
Should I just wax it?
Which product should I buy for this job?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
It depends if you have a clear coat or not on your tank and how thick it is. If you have a clear coat, you can hit it with a little 2000 sand paper and buff it out with a chemical polish. You may want to try the chemical polish first and see how that goes. I don't think regular wax will do anything for you - may be a cleaner was.

If it's just paint - I'd still try the cleaner was but the results may not be the same as the remaining paint on the tank..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob, I have a thick clear cooat on this bad boy.
Its like candy.

Without sanding, what product can I buy at the automotive store that will bring it back to life?

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can try a tought rubbing compound possibly. If it works then use a finer compound until it's glossy again. i'd probably go by one of your local body shops and get an opinion..

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Jerry - if your a little timid about working on the tank, stop by any auto body shop and they can re-buff the tank for you for small dollars.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob, I bought rubing compond at the auto store. Works great but looks a little dull. At this poing a little wax job will bring her back to normal.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
wetsand the tank with 1000 grit (yes one thousand) sandpaper and lots of water. Then cut it with a pro-grade polishing compound and a rotary wheel with soft foam pad. will look like new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts