Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is one of the cams i took out of my triumph motor when i overhauled it, the re-grind looks like it was done on a bench grinder...by a blind alcoholic...with the 8am shakes before he started on his next case of Olympia beer.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
what tappets were running on it? std's, r's, flat, or something else?

doesn't look like much lift at all

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
leo...i never ran the motor with those cams. until a few weeks ago, it had been a cool 24 years since it had been kicked over. i met the guy who had it done (long saga...there's another owner between us), and he said it was fast. with my new cams...that friggin motor is a monster. it damn near spit me off today!
hacka...it had standard tappets. they were completely shot. i pulled the tappets from my '71 RV to use when i built the motor back up. i believe the lift is only about 2/3 of stock, and the ramp up is kind of funny (notice the low slope?).

it probably ran kind of weird. but that's from back in the day when REAL choppers were built by REAL fanatics with REAL heart...and not by a bunch of hollywood-kit-bike-building yahoos. anywho, i had a great ride today with my bud's, still trying to hunt down my remaining gremlins and kill them...at least i know i'm not running THAT cam!!!!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I wanna see the HC cams

that's a pretty silly lobe on that cam even if using a roller tappet

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you totally trying to make me feel bad for not taking pics of my cams? actually, i kinda feel like a putz, because i've got pics of everything else. damn, that motor runs like a raped ape though. instant power, instant acceleration. in fact, i learned all about instant power today when i put my ass on the rear tire (guess who didn't put a fender on yet?). those carbs have got to go though, keihin's may be fine for a subtle street bike, but they're crap for something like this. i'll be getting 'kuni's or amals soon. we'll write the expense off as a "lesson learned". wouldn't be the first time on this bike.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Try some Keihin PE race carbs, great carbs, easy to tune...but no acclerator pump....which you might need in your application.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually, this whole situation has me kind of turned off to the whole brand. i'm gonna keep 'em on for the next couple of weeks (there's a show soon too...no need to retune this week). then, they're getting replaced. shortly after that, i might pop a few rounds at them with my rifle. at the range, of course...i'm safety conscious!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts