Cafe Racer Forum banner

441 - 453 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Yes, but that's a lot of REALLY pricey equipment.
I couldn’t even guess at what one of those would cost new. Even a new “good” welding table couldn’t come close to being justified for the amount of use it would get around here. My only hope would be to find a used table, but the likelihood of finding something affordable that would double as a quasi surface plate has got to be virtually nil. Don’t see myself living long enough to scrape and lap a 3’x5’ hunk of steel down to the point where it’s actually level.... never mind drilling and tapping that many holes in heavy plate.

·
Registered
769 Posts

1965 triumph bonneville land speed racer

135.259 mph
Mmmmm. That’s not a very impressive speed.

Works Bonnies running around the Isle of Man TT in 67 through 68 we’re pulling 148 through the speed trap at Sulby. I built a T140 based engine that was in a road race chassis that recorded 143mph on premium pump too.

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
49 Posts
Mmmmm. That’s not a very impressive speed.

Works Bonnies running around the Isle of Man TT in 67 through 68 we’re pulling 148 through the speed trap at Sulby. I built a T140 based engine that was in a road race chassis that recorded 143mph on premium pump too.
all depends on the rules, you know. this runs in modified production-- stock frame, 650cc, no fairing. lots of the old knowledge from the 1960's died with their mechanics, sadly.

143 is an excellent speed. that's faster than near-equivalent motorcycle records at the bonneville salt flats

·
Registered
49 Posts
i am very interested.. the LSR machine only gets let out a couple of times per year, as there are few places with a straight line two miles long to run on. so development is quite slow. i'm putting a trackbike together to see whether i can get more time on a racecourse with it

always interested in learning from peopl ewho know more than me

·
Registered
49 Posts
well i should have an opportunity. i have no experience in road racing, so there's nowhere for me to go but up. and running an old unit triumph means i won't be threatening anybody with sheer power.

·
Registered
49 Posts
a friend of mine put this LSR double together

i called him up and told him an uncompleted drag racing machine was on eBay at US$900 with five hours to go . . .

he bought it, threw most of it away and built it into this. a very interesting and very specialized LSR machine. has only been out one time and took an easy 142 mph top speed before an oil seal inverted and he lost pressure and pulled in.

the cases are both 1956, i think, later cranks, jugs, and heads. four mikuni flatslides, a five speed harley gearbox and electric start.

doing a double presents phasing problems. i think the front crank and timing is phased a few degrees ahead of the rear to smooth the power delievery.

441 - 453 of 453 Posts