Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
The greasy, gas soaked ones are the best. They can be ten times worse, and come out so clean you can see the factory coatings on the carb body. The chalky white corrosion of death never comes off though.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
corey,

can you take a left side picture "after." i would like to be able to compare against the before. you have the right side in "after" and the left side in "before."

tex

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm pretty sure the base metal is totally different. The carbs would be cast zinc? And those clamps and switch are aluminum.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
My before:

And my after:

Done with a toothbrush & can of spray carb cleaner... maybe an hour for the body?

I'm a big fan of natural light. Take your pictures outdoors, in in</u>direct sunlight & no flash</u>. And perhaps you need to start with something a little dirtier? Based on your photos, I wouldn't spend the money for that result, compared to my $5 results, but I expect it's because of your shit photos and not because you're a completely incompetent douchebag poseur.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
chemicals being used make a difference also. If I ran carb dip in an ultrasonic cleaner I am sure it would come out way different than soap and water.

can you run carb dip in an ultrasonic cleaner?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Boy, don't I have all the right answers?

Looks better to me, anyway. I do think you needed to start with something ickier, though. I mean, is that really the dirtiest carb you had hanging around?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the carb wasn't laying around this is gamblers carb. i cleaned it for him for bartered services.

sorry tom, if i weren't taking pics i could be boxing and sending back.
not really) i've got a couple of o-rings to source and replace that will be tomorrow. and then i'll send you everything back before the weekend.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Well, that looks to me like it was the most in need of a cleaning of all shown in this thread.

If spray can and tooth brush will make one sparkly clean and sanitary ... it wasnt dirty to begin with

Really gummed up and hurt has all the jets and emulsion tubes plugged solid and that vicious white chalk showing itself even on the carb's exterior.

Looks pretty good best I can tell.

Geet, ultrasonics usually have their bowls made of 316, or better, stainless. They will hold up to most chemicals.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I bought the complete bike that carburetor came from, barely running, for $85. So, given the detergent properties of the gasoline passing through that carb, I suppose it's not the very dirtiest it could possibly have been, but it was plenty nasty (sorry I don't have disassembled pics). Jets & tubes were pretty clogged up & all the little parts sat in cleaner for a day or two, were violated with guitar string, and blown out with air compressor. Some bits were replaced. Fact is, the pair of them was dirty enough (and I incompetent enough in my first rebuild) that they required further attention later on. However, the bike they went on now runs fine, and I posted a video of it here.

The (tongue-in-cheek) point is: Corey's before pic doesn't look</u> dirty enough to make his after pic seem all that impressive. If he were nearby, and I didn't have to pay shipping, I'd probably throw him some business, just because I like his attitude and my time is worth more than the $50 I'd have to pony up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts