Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the way home from church yesterday, I watched a twin-headlight, fully-faired sport bike come up to a red traffic light opposite us at an intersection. As I was doing the typical bike spotter thing and attempting to identify it, I quickly realized the scale was off – this was one little bike, smaller than a Ninja 250. Oh, probably one of those little 150-200cc Chinese 4-stroke singles, like a Kymco Quannon 150. That's cool, haven't seen many of those.

But no! He blips the throttle and I see a telltale trail of blue smoke. Now I'm really looking closely! He gets a green arrow and turns left in front of us. My jaw drops – it's got a single-sided swingarm! From the shape of the headlights and fairing ducts, and the swingarm, I am 99% sure it was a '90s Honda NSR150 – a bike sold only in Southeast Asia.

6057769_orig.jpg

For about two seconds, I was ready to tell my wife to turn right and chase the guy down. But we had brunch reservations and were headed in the opposite direction.

How the hell one of those ended up in surburban Kansas City is totally beyond my comprehension.

·
Registered
405 Posts
A Guess: bulk container military transport back from asia ..I understand cars also came back this way that shouldn't before 911 ( i'd guess enough rank has advantages at the military's customs inspection's)...then its paperwork got shuffled for something sold here.... too cool!

·
Registered
127 Posts
A Guess: bulk container military transport back from asia ..I understand cars also came back this way that shouldn't before 911 ( i'd guess enough rank has advantages at the military's customs inspection's)...then its paperwork got shuffled for something sold here.... too cool!
When I was in the Navy we would put cars on the carriers and bring them home we wouldn't even need to go through customs, can rarely get them titled though in California. But other states were no problem, and if you were still active duty then you could keep YOUR out of country plates as long as you had your DOD stickers

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
When I was in the Navy we would put cars on the carriers and bring them home we wouldn't even need to go through customs, can rarely get them titled though in California. But other states were no problem, and if you were still active duty then you could keep YOUR out of country plates as long as you had your DOD stickers
Same here. A couple of gammas were brought on board our destroyer...........one from Japan and the other I can't recall.......I think Australia.

Most just brought VD on board.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Same here. A couple of gammas were brought on board our destroyer...........one from Japan and the other I can't recall.......I think Australia.

Most just brought VD on board.
One year we just left Chile and an entire engineering division was in line at Med call with the same VD, they even had a couple chicks in line with em! Apparently they all went to the same party. Hahaha I will never forget one of them coming into the P Way yelling "But EM1, it burns when I pee!!!"

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Grey market bikes were a pretty big thing in CA, back in the 90's. I had friends that had NS400's, TZR250's RGV250's, etc. Heck, I even had a Japanese market, only, CRM250R which was a 2 stroke dual sport. (Basically, an oil injected 6 speed CR250 wih more low end and a softer suspension, with lights, turn signals and a license plate.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
They were mostly imported into Thailand and Taiwan. The Taiwanese company kymco got the rights to produce them in the late 90s.

There is a lot of them over here in Taiwan as well as other two stroke 125s. Lots of parts avaliable means they are cheap little pocket rockets.

A american friend of mine owns a nsr 150 and they are a blast to ride on. great for small roads like we have here in Taiwan and weaving through Asian traffic.

·
Registered
405 Posts
wouldn't some level of DOT still have to be met?... Thinking you could be ticketed for not meeting the dot standards that were in place at the time its manufacture or is being over 25 year old exempting you from all that? ... for instance tires not highway DOT certified could garner you a ticket ...

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I knew an old dude, he might even still be alive too, who managed to bring back a NSU, when he was done fighting the Japs.

I've seen those NSR150's in my travels. They look a little cheap, heavy and weird in places. They supposedly do over 90MPH.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
wouldn't some level of DOT still have to be met?... Thinking you could be ticketed for not meeting the dot standards that were in place at the time its manufacture or is being over 25 year old exempting you from all that? ... for instance tires not highway DOT certified could garner you a ticket ...
As I understand it getting the bike into the country and meeting your local requirements are two different things. The local cop may not like your non-DOT lighting but the customs agent won't give a rip...

From the NHTSA site:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ Site/pages/page2.html

8. Importing a vehicle that is at least 25 years old.

A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used.
FMVSS = Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards IIRC

Or go to the customs site instead;
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/~/importing-classic-or-antique-vehicles-/-cars-for-personal-use

What are the requirements for importing classic or antique vehicles / cars for personal use?

Generally, classic or antique vehicles are exempt from Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) pollution and safety requirements.

If the vehicle is at least 21 years old, there are no EPA compliance requirements upon importation.
A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).
Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used.

See: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/

{snip}

If the car is old enough to be exempt from DOT requirements (the same documents that would confirm this for EPA purposes should also address this issue) the importer may check the block on the HS-7 stating the vehicle does not have to conform to DOT requirements.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts