Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, brand new to the forum. To be honest I'm only making this account right now to see if anyone can identify a bike for me. I everything works out with it then I will most likely become an active member. Regardless, please, anyone, help!
My uncle recently sent me two pictures of a bike that he picked up for me but it has no title. So I don't know what year, model, or size. At least until I get it here (Minnesota to Florida) and can (presumably) identify it by looking up the VIN. (I'm not an expert, can you tell yet?)
I'd like to know the year, model, and size ASAP so that I can order an original manual and start burying myself in it.
Anyway, this is the only picture (technically pictures...) that I have. I THINK its a CB? Looks like it to me but again... NOT an expert. I think the term novice or absolute beginner and has never done any automotive projects of any sort in his life would best describe it...
If anyone can tell me anything, I would greatly appreciate it!!!
hondacb2.JPG
hondacb1.JPG
hondacb.jpg

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
do you have a motorcycle license?

That bike isn't worth it even if it's free. Do yourself a favor and buy a newer (used) bike that runs and learn basic maintenance and riding skills on that.

That bike is barely worth the parts its made of

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
It is a honda cb550 from about 1974-1976. If you had the vin you could probably look up the year.

The bike is a wreck though, it will probably cost more than it is ever worth to even get running. you can buy running ones in your area for $2000, they are not rare.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If it's been stored outside in Minnesota it's not worth the effort of getting it down to Florida. No title, needs everything, and is 1200 miles away. What could possibly go wrong with that? Free bikes are one of the most expensive ways to get into motorcycles...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, did not expect to get any responses so soon. I appreciate it. The bike itself is free as well as the transportation. I don't expect to do much of anything with this bike aside from learning. I'd like to eventually have a bike to ride that I've fixed myself. I don't expect this bike to be that one, though. I'm hoping that I can just start learning the basics. Thanks, though, everyone.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Wow, did not expect to get any responses so soon. I appreciate it. The bike itself is free as well as the transportation. I don't expect to do much of anything with this bike aside from learning. I'd like to eventually have a bike to ride that I've fixed myself. I don't expect this bike to be that one, though. I'm hoping that I can just start learning the basics. Thanks, though, everyone.

Go for it, you can learn to clean carburetors and how not to store a motorcycle.

... that particular one looks a lot like what I usually refer to as a Stolen Discarded motorcycle ;)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
;) stick around then, because the guys here are intimately familiar with all the nasty stuff you are going to discover inside that thing.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
You're probably robbing the field mice of a really nice winter home ;) you should feel really bad about that.
Nah. He'll be giving, said, field mice free transportation to a warm climate.

but I don't think that is even worth free parts! The side of that bike that has become part of the soil is going to be a freaking disaster

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
You could spray it down with simple green, slap on some cheap clubmans and a skateboard seat, and list it on Craigslist as a $400 hipsterbait project

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I'm guessing that IF he cleaned them up real good and got super lucky, the 4 - 22mm Keihin carburetors would probably sell for more then the price of the bike. The air box is probably worth a couple of dollars too considering the number of bikes that we see go through here with that part missing. The rest is probably worth it's weight in scrap metal and toxic waste.

lol ... at Canadian Tire you can actually get a discount price on a replacement lawn tractor battery if you bring in anything that resembles an old battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts